Menu
PhilSand
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband and phone not moved properly

Hi, I have moved from EE to Virgin, and the phone number was supposed to be moved over and existing broadband cancelled. However, Virgin have not moved over my number (we have a new number) and not contacted EE to cancel the old broadband. Cannot get through to customer service. Can anyone help? Thanks

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband and phone not moved properly

Hello

When was your Virginmedia line made active ? as line porting will take no more than 10 days from when your Virginmedia line when active.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
naboo
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The process of landline porting is not really explained in any detail when you sign up

The blurb tells you "Want to bring your landline number with you?....sure you can" without giving you the details of what you need to ensure you do for a successful port and also what the process entails.

I moved from Sky

Was told various versions of what would happen by the tech installer , the text helpline and the never never land which is the offshore call centres and none of the information was correct or informative

Assuming you asked for a number port when you signed up it will take 10 days from your install date

It can NEVER happen on the day when your Virgin is installed just in case there is an issue with the install

Because you are moving from EE, they work on a different system to what Virgin does which is why it takes longer,  in this case, 10 days, as there are a few things that have to align behind the scenes to allow this.

You will have 2 lines  your existing and your new Virgin number

What happened with me was a couple of days after my install, I had a letter from Sky confirming they had a request from another provider to take over my landline and broadband and indeed gave me the date the switch would happen. This was exactly 10 days after my install date

My Sky letter also told me that once the switch happens, this automatically cancels both those services with sky

Virgin cannot cancel your landline/broadband with EE, the cancellation "should" happen as a consequence of a successful number port which is what happened with me and Sky. I assume it is a similar situation with EE?

What I did was plug in a phone on the Virgin hub and left another phone on my sky line

Once the phone on my Virgin hub rang 10 days later I knew the switch had happened and checking my Sky line, this indeed was now dead

Maybe you will get a similar letter from EE that I got from Sky in the next few days

If after 10 days from your install the number has still not been ported, then that may indicate something is not right

It is VERY IMPORTANT that your existing EE landline is still running and you have not put in a cancellation request with EE  because if there is a cancellation request from you to EE to cancel the phone line then it is almost certain that the number port will fail and you may lose the ability to keep that number

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

VM will not cancel your old BB only you can do that as the account holder - if they said they could/would then they are wrong

Tony
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi PhilSand

Thanks for posting.

My apologies for the confusion here. I can see from checking the system the number port is in progress. You'll also need to contact the old provider and cancel any other service you had with them (the landline should cancel when you port the number across)

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos