Menu
Reply
Re2001
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
289 Views
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Upgrade Do I keep Fw Path Equaliser?

My broadband has been upgraded from M200 to Gig1 and I have now got the Hub 4 router. When removing the docsis cable and installing it to the new router I noticed it had an extra component that the cable ran into and was attached to the router. It is labelled 'Forward Path Equaliser 4 dB      TFPE-4-750'. Should I install this to the new router or just connect the doscsis cable straight into the router now that my speed has increased? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
287 Views
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Upgrade Do I keep Fw Path Equaliser?


@Re2001 wrote:

My broadband has been upgraded from M200 to Gig1 and I have now got the Hub 4 router. When removing the docsis cable and installing it to the new router I noticed it had an extra component that the cable ran into and was attached to the router. It is labelled 'Forward Path Equaliser 4 dB      TFPE-4-750'. Should I install this to the new router or just connect the doscsis cable straight into the router now that my speed has increased? Thanks. 


It depends what the power levels show in the router stats.

Access the HUB using http://192.168.0.1, log in and access 'Advanced settings \ Tools \ Network status' and check the current 'Power (dBmV)' levels in the 'Downstream' tab.

Generally the downstream levels should be as close to 0dB as possible. If they are at + 4dB without the Forward Path Equaliser adding the one you have into the line should reduce the levels back to 0dB, as an example.

Note: An Attenuateur affects both upstream and downstream power levels. A Forward Path Equaliser only affects downstream power levels.

0 Kudos
Reply
Re2001
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
279 Views
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Upgrade Do I keep Fw Path Equaliser?

 

125951859_410865506619292_6412800624808005873_n.jpg

Also noticed there is a tear in the cable could this be a problem and how would I get a new cable? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
274 Views
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Upgrade Do I keep Fw Path Equaliser?


@Re2001 wrote:

 

125951859_410865506619292_6412800624808005873_n.jpg

Also noticed there is a tear in the cable could this be a problem and how would I get a new cable? Thanks.


I wouldn't be too concerned about that since it's at the end of the cable.

Just wrap it in some electrical tape, or glue it back together.

0 Kudos
Reply
Re2001
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
262 Views
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Upgrade Do I keep Fw Path Equaliser?

 

Hi, thanks for such a quick response I have attached a photo of some of the channels and the power seems to range from around 7.7-8.6. So I'm guessing I should definitely be using the fw equaliser, however is this still a problem as it is on average about 8? Thanks

 

power.PNG

0 Kudos
Reply
Re2001
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
261 Views
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Upgrade Do I keep Fw Path Equaliser?

Also for upstream it is reading an average of 38.5 is this normal?
0 Kudos
Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
250 Views
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Upgrade Do I keep Fw Path Equaliser?


@Re2001 wrote:

 

Hi, thanks for such a quick response I have attached a photo of some of the channels and the power seems to range from around 7.7-8.6. So I'm guessing I should definitely be using the fw equaliser, however is this still a problem as it is on average about 8? Thanks

 

power.PNG


In spec for downstream power levels is -6 to +10 so you are still in spec, however yes, you should probably add the equaliser back into the chain.

As for upload 38.5 is perfectly acceptable. 32 or lower means you'd need an engineer visit to correct.

0 Kudos
Reply
Re2001
  • 5
  • 0
  • 0
Joining in
234 Views
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Upgrade Do I keep Fw Path Equaliser?

After adding the equaliser back in it now averages around 4.5, thanks for all the help ,appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Reply