Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Supply to Router

Does the broadband supply to the router have to have a splitter in it or can it be direct from the outside box to the router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Supply to Router

You do not need a splitter unless you have other services that need connecting. Do you have one that you don't need? Removing it is fine but it will increase the power levels to your services which can be a problem if they are already high.
What services do you have currently?

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Legend
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It only requires a splitter when you have a Hub3 and V6/TiVo box. That said there are two points to consider, 1) a splitter attenuated the signal by a small amount and may increase you signal level too much 2) if you have a splitter and no V6/TiVo the ‘spare’ socket on the splitter should have a terminator cap on it. If you remove the splitter you will need a female to female F connector.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You will only need the female to female barrel connector if the cable isn't long enough internally or you are removing the splitter from the external box.

What ever you do please ensure all connections are beyond finger tight to reduce the possibility of noise ingress.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The only thing that might be an issue with a direct connection to outside is the absence of a safety isolator. If there is an inline isolator built into the hub cable this will be fine. If not there is significant risk of surge damage to equipment. Some older Diplexer/Isolators are confused with Splitters. These used to seperate the analogue FM radio from the TV (& now broadband) signals. These should not be removed.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Broadband and Telephone.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7