Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Installed & Now No FreeSat Signal

Hello,

Not quite sure where to post this, but I shall see what happens.

Well, I had an engineer come out a week ago to setup my broadband service. I've been with Virgin for years with respect their TV and phone services, so it wasn't a full installation. Some time after the engineer left, I noticed he didn't reconnect my TV's Free Sat/Free view cable to the wall box behind the TV where it had always been. I still use Free Sat and know that it had been working fine prior to the engineers visit.

Once I reconnected the cable, I found my TV was reporting no signal when selecting the Free Sat/Free View tuner option. I tried checking the connection was sound and even went and purchased a replacement cable, all to no avail. I can see that one of the adjacent connectors on this wall box is now used by the Virgin Hub 3 that was installed and was wondering if I've lost the Free Sat signal as a result of this being connected. The wall box has three connectors as I recall. One for the aforementioned TV, one for DAB Radio and I assume the newly occupied one is for an Internet connection.

I then spent over 20 minutes per day for the first three days of this past week attempting to contact someone at Virgin Media to ask about this, to no avail. I know with lock down in the UK that things are somewhat slower than usual in terms of customer services, but this was crazy. Finally, on my fourth attempt, I managed to speak to one of Virgin's overseas call centres and the person at the other end had no clue what I was talking about and transferred me to their tech support team. I hung on hold for over 25 minutes and gave up again.

In desperation, I contacted the retentions team, a department I know is based in the UK, and was initially told they couldn't help me and I'd have to contact tech support (Yeah, like that's going to work at this point in time). A change of mind and he said he'd get their "AFM" to contact me later. Suffice it to say, I never received that call.

OK, so apologies for the lengthy scenario setting, but can anyone shed any light onto my issue please?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Broadband Installed & Now No FreeSat Signal

Sounds like you are in a flat with a old communal antenna system.

If these are fitted with the older type connector panels then you may only have one F type outlet, that can either be used for Satellite or Virgin, depending on what is connected in the communal equipment cupboard. 

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I had suspected that it might be a case of one or the other, but not both in terms of active connections on my wall box. I guess I could remove the broadband cable from the wall to see if my Free Sat signal returns?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@raotorraotor wrote:
I guess I could remove the broadband cable from the wall to see if my Free Sat signal returns?

You can’t get Freesat from a Virgin connection. The connection in the equipment cupboard has to be changed back to the Satellite dish for you get Freesat again. If it’s now connected to Virgin, you can only use it for Virgin TV & Broadband.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos