Menu
DarthDruid
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Broadband Data Usage

Hi.  I'm a broadband via the cable TV user (i.e. NOT a mobile 4G network user).

I need to work out how much data I'm pulling down each month.

Back in the day when I joined NyNex and CW Comms - in the days of dial-up connections (yes, that long ago) you could always log on to "My Account" to look-see how much data you had used.  

Is it still possible to do this?  I have a bizarre reason for needing to know...

TIA

Elliott

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband Data Usage

With Broadband services very much advertised as 'unimited downloads' there is no reason for ISPs to put any kind of download measuring recording in their modems.

You might be lucky and find some kind of software that you can run on your device.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
DarthDruid
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of... I'm actually doing a house refurb and I need to take the room where the VM modem connection is out of use for a couple of months so I'm looking at 4G alternatives to tide me over - but because these are "mobile network devices" they all come with data limits, so I need to try to work out how much data to buy on the 4G system.

As a retired network professional I know the data will be available because VM will be capturing it for load balancing and all that good stuff, it's just not going to be in the public domain in a place where I can access it. 😞
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've just been looking around my set up and have found that the Netgear Nighthawk app for my Netgear router does actually have a traffic meter.

If you use a third party router your kit may have something similar.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
DarthDruid
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. I have a baulk standard VM Router - but I vaguely remember that the last time I logged into it I thought "Ah, Netgear" so that might be worth a look.

Now, did I change the password or not... 😉
0 Kudos
ta11ka
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi, When I log into my account and try to view my broadband usage for the month, the option to view my usage is not on the page. why is this and it has been like this for a while. Can anyone help ?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not sure if you are using Windows 10 (Latest build 2004) however if you right click on your network icon, then 'Open Network & Internet Settings' it shows your data usage on that device, for the last 30 days:

Keep in mind, however, that this would include local traffic as well, for example transferring data from one machine to another.

Unless of course you select 'Data usage' and it breaks it down by application!

ta11ka
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply, I am using Windows 7, tried anyway but no joy. Up until around 3 months ago anytime I logged into My Virgin Media there was always a link that you click on that "check your usage here" which is no longer on the page, so there is no way to check it.

0 Kudos
Cucharilla
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I read on their help page that the option exists if you have a monthly data limit but I assume they don't give you access to that if you have an unlimited package. I'm trying to find the same information.
0 Kudos
Cucharilla
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Were you ever able to get an answer to this? I was thinking of doing something similar so it's important to know how much data Zoom calls and Netflix use on average a month before I commit to anything.
0 Kudos