cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband: 1 Gig Download Speed

SV0055
Tuning in

I upgraded my broadband speed to 1 Gig in September 2022 and was provided with a new Hub 5. Using Ookla Speedtest on an ethernet connected device that has a 1 gig network interface, I get download speeds averaging between 250 and 350 Mbps and have never ever seen anything close to 1 Gig. I Spoke to a number of Virgin Media Technicians  and each one of them say that they can see 1 Gig delivered to the hub and they have set some kind of monitoring that self fixes any issues. They seem to be pointing to possible issues on my internal devices. 

Any experience with anything similar and advice appreciated.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @SV0055 

What speeds do you get to your hub and your device on a wired connection on https://samknows.com/realspeed/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave

I tried the Samknows link and I get a message 'This router does not support RealSpeed'

Regards

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi SV0055,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've been experiencing some slow speeds.

I've had a look at things from our side and it does look like you're currently affected by an area SNR outage. Whilst this is ongoing you may find your services are slow/ intermittent.

The current fix date for this is later this evening, 

If you can please run your tests again tomorrow and let us know if there is any improvement 🙂

Alex_Rm

Thank you Alex_Rm

I did the test a few times this morning and I am not getting over 300Mbps.

Regards

Hi SV0055,

Thank you for reaching back out, I was able to check your end and can see the SNR issue has cleared however I can see you haven't rebooted your Hub since, please unplug the Router from the power, leave 2 minutes then plug back in, once done please do another speed test Via SamKnowRealSpeed.com, this will show what is hitting the Router and will show if there are any further issues.

Regards

Paul.

yelrats
Tuning in

Hi I also have Gig1 and was only seeing speeds around 950 Mbps I thought this was normal and did nothing for months, then I saw the avg speed should be 1130 Mbps' I was connected to port 4 on the Hub 5, 2.5 Gig so I thought I was good to go, after Researching I discovered I required a 2.5 Gig card and I only had the integrated 1Gig Adapter

so I Bought one installed it hey presto full speed, but then on further Research adjusting the new adapter's settings my speed is flying way past there 1130 Mbps but not All the time 1151 / 1170 but always over the 1 Gb if you don't have a 2.5 card get one then read this https://www.digit.in/features/tech/tweak-network-adapter-properties-networking-ethernet-wifi-vpn-452... take a look at my test result. test Gig1.png