Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Booster won’t pair

I have an air bnb in a building about 10m away from my house.  For three months I’ve successfully used a virgin booster to connect wifi into the garage.

Three days ago my current guests complained it wasn’t working (they are paying to be able to work there in isolation) but no matter how many times I try to pair the boosters in the house they just won’t connect.  I’ve restarted the router and both the booster bits but nothing will do it and it’s driving me insane.

When I phone Virgin I get cut off after 45 minutes each time and this issue isn’t covered in their automated topics.  It’s not good as I am paying for this service.

I now have two Ethernet cables running from my router into the garage through the windows which isn’t great, but at least my guests can work, although they can’t watch the smart TV.

Can anyone please help?  I have the M100 fibre package.  Ideally I’d just like the internet boosters to work in my air bnb, but at best if there was something I could ask my guests to plug in on the end of one of the Ethernet cables that would distribute the signal so they can use WIFI in the air bnb including the smart tv.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Booster won’t pair

Hi Rowena,

I'm quite surprised that you managed to successfully connect the VM boosters in the first place as they are designed to be used in the same property. They are powerline devices where the "master" unit, that you connect to your router by ethernet, injects the signal into the mains via the socket it's plugged into. The booster (in a WiFi blackspot) then receives the signal via its mains socket and re-transmits over WiFi. Both devices need to be on the same mains. There will be 3 phases in your street and therefore a 2 in 3 chance that 2 properties won't share a phase (mains).

There are a few options for you. 

1: get the boosters working. However you say you haven't had much success. Have you done a full reset via the reset in the side? I too didn't get them going, in fact never did!

2: buy something like

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1286627

This uses WiFi only.

The next 2 are a bit more technical and expensive.

3: buy a new(better) WiFi router. You would then have to set up a new WiFi for the other property or put your Hub into Modem mode and share the WiFi across  the 2 properties .

4:invest in Mesh WiFi. This is quite expensive but would allow you more control and depending on your system you could expand with smart home devices etc.

I'm sure some of the other techies on here will give you other options.  Personally I'd go for option 4 but I like my gadgets!

Hope this helps a bit. 

Good luck and keep safe!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi there there sparky.

thanks so much for helping here.  When I explained The set up to virgin they assured me that they would work as the electrics in the air bnb/garage are the same as the ones in the house and I didn’t have any problems until now and it’s been in there for 3 months.

I can’t even pair them in the house which says to me the equipment is suddenly faulty.  This is even after resetting them several times.

I need it to work so could you explain a little more about mesh WIFI, like where I get it from and how it works, if you have the time as I can’t risk this type of failure in the future.  I’m not technical so explaining like I am three years old is great 😂

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This is how I got my booster working again, maybe worth a try

Bring larger air bnb booster into main house and plug directly into primary booster, keeping ethernet cable connected between modem and primary booster

Press reset on both for around 30seconds

Leave them this way for around 15 minutes

If both boosters now have a solid white light then it may have worked

The name/password for bnb booster would revert back to the one on the back of plug (if it was previously cloned)

Reconnect larger booster into bnb making sure its connected directly into power socket, not an extension

Fingers crossed 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Try the full reset as suggested above. If that does work then at least you are back to where you were.

Mesh works by using a number of repeater nodes that receive and re transmit your WiFi  signal. I've opted for (Google) Nest WiFi simply because I already had other Google kit. The basic kit comes with a WiFi router that replaces the router side of the VM Hub and 1 WiFi (node) point.

I suggest, unless you have no joy with the full factory reset of the VM boosters, it's something to look at after the lockdown has ended as you could end up making a bad situation worse. You have to go into the settings of your  Hub and switch off WiFi, the setup isn't difficult TBH but for obvious reasons VM wouldn't be able to support you (even if you could get through to them) as it's not their kit!

At this point in time if the boosters don't come alive again I'd go for something like the TP Link device I posted a link to as at least then you'll have only spent about £17!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media boosters are part of the CPE a customer has, the same as a modem or a v6 box therefore they would be replaced free of charge if faulty

due to the router working ok this wouldnt be classed as essential work at the moment unless a pair was posted out as a self install

Scott 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scot,

That's why I've suggested getting something like the TP link as a quick fix if the VM ones can't be resurrected. For someone who isn't technically minded (by their own admission) I wouldn't suggest doing anything above the norm in the current situation! At least if it doesn't work its cost less than £20!

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rowena1980,

Thanks for posting in the Community Forums. Sorry to hear that you are having issues connecting the boosters. Have you been able to try @sparky621's suggestion, by resetting the boosters then pair them again? If you need help on how to do this, click here.

The Connect App is also helpful at showing how your network is working or identifying which one has a fault, here's some more info on the Connect App virg.in/connectapp

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos