Menu
lennyboybruce
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Booster with personal router

Hi

I have just received my booster from VM and have a question re setup...

I already have a network cable from the VM hub in my main living room that goes under the floorboards and stairs and up into my under stairs room where it is connected to my personal Linksys router.

This was set up for me some time ago as i have having major issue with network drop outs on a music system (that now works perfectly) and i really dont want to mess with it!

My question is can i use this booster as well as my router, if so will it cause any conflictions or any issues?

Also should I connect the booster to the router, or follow the instructions and connect the booster to the Virgin Hub?

No one at Virgin asked me the question (re router) when this was offered, and i forgot to ask.😟

Any guidance appreciated

Thx

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Booster with personal router

First off - are you sure these are "free" or are you paying £3/month for them - take a look at your online account details - it will show on there.

If you are paying you would be better spending those monies on your own better quality wireless equipment and connecting that to the Linksys (or the Hub)

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
lennyboybruce
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have increased my home BB from the 100 service to the 200 service, these booster were part of this upgrade package.
I am now wondering if this upgrade is relevant in a sense that is this speed(s) only achievable by using the booster or are they just an added benefit for black spots?
I was under the impression of the latter, and that after they increased the speed from the street into my property.
Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Thx

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A booster can help with wireless dropouts, but can compromise on speed as every request it receives it has to pass on. It depends on the amount of bandwidth it has, and this bandwidth has no relevance to your broadband speed. It's wireless bandwidth, so it depends on the amount of other devices using that bandwidth and overall interference from electric devices such as microwaves, washing machines, etc. 

Depending on where you have it located, it may be better to install a wireless router in a new location, for example, if you can install one under the stairs on the end of your ethernet cable it would be far better than any booster as it's hard wired. 

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@lennyboybruce wrote:

I have increased my home BB from the 100 service to the 200 service, these booster were part of this upgrade package.
I am now wondering if this upgrade is relevant in a sense that is this speed(s) only achievable by using the booster or are they just an added benefit for black spots?
I was under the impression of the latter, and that after they increased the speed from the street into my property.
Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Thx

The booster is only for WiFi blackspots, and has nothing to do with increasing speed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@lennyboybruce wrote:

Double check your account as these are now only free to those on 1GB packages or have a Hub3 - the charge may be buried in the rise for the upgrade.  You may have snuck in before they changed the rules a few weeks ago,

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.