Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Beginner advice for home with Virgin Media

Hi all. Looking for advice on setting up ubiquiti products in the home. My current ISP is Virgin Media in the UK, I have a Hub 3 combined modem/router which I use for WiFi and 2/3 other items via Cat5e round the house. I’d like to replace this with a ubiquiti system, and have one additional access point for the kitchen as the WiFi there is poor.

I’d really appreciate some advice on which products to purchase. I understand the best option is to use my current device as modem only and by a Ubi router etc. I’d also love to hear from anyone in the UK who has done something similar and maybe able to advice on working with the Hub 3 for this project?

Any help greatly appreciated .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Beginner advice for home with Virgin Media

Cant help directly but I would be looking at Ubiquiti kit too as it is highly regarded by those who use it on these fora.

Someone ought to comment soon - although this forum isn't so "busy" as others. If no-one has picked it up on here in a day or two, try a new post in the "Networking & WiFi" forum with a title like "Recommendation for Ubiquiti equipment please" - that should grab their attention 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would recommend the Unifi range from Ubiquiti, they offer an easy interface via free software. Their routers are just routers, no network switch integrated so you would need to purchase this as well. I will list what I use, but there are cheaper Unifi options.

Router - USG-Proc-4

Switches - USW 16 150w x 1, USW 8 60w x 2 (these are PoE switches)

Wireless Access Point - USP AC Pro x 2

Controller & Protect Storage - Unifi Cloud Key 2+ (The software for just network, no cameras can be run on any machine, Windows, Mac or Linux, I had it on a Raspberry Pi previously)

Cameras - G3 x 4, G3flex x 1, G4 doorbell on order.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

i use the EdgeRouter and Unifi AC-Lite

Unifi POE Switch and 2 nano-beam AC loco for a bridge over 300m

All controlled by unifi controller and UMNS software hosted on my own server in a colo

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The edge routers are brilliant little devices for what they cost as are the unfi ac lite. When setup correctly they are far better than any "gaming" router but then again they are in different category i suppose.I've also got a cisco switch somewhere so I'm not all unifi ubiquiti.

The hub 3 is just shoved behind the TV out of sight then networking cable goes up the wall where the TV antenna cable used to come down and into the loft for the upstairs and outside wifis. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You have options here

1. Continue to use the Hub3 as your router but disable the wireless and add one or more Unifi Access Points to provide wireless connectivity - at least one of your new AP's will need to be connected to the Hub3 with an ethernet cable.

2. Put the Hub3 in modem mode and purchase a Unifi Router, Switch and AP's 

Option 1 is likely to cost around £2-300 (2x Unifi APs - costs depending on model.. + optional controller)

Option 2 somewhere around £4-600 (2x Unifi APs, 1 x router, 1 x switch + optional controller)

you don't *need* a dedicated controller for option 1 - it is possible to configure the AP's with their iOS/Android app..

I am unsure if a controller is *required* if you have a Unifi router (i don't use Unifi at the gateway) but i assume it's still optional (you can install it on a computer to do the initial configuration, then it shouldn't be needed unless you want/need to change config at a later date)

Unifi is rarely at the bleeding edge but if you want to future proof yourself a bit, take a look at the APs that support WiFi6 - I'm not sure how readily available these are (think they launched in May this year?) so you may struggle to get hold of them and have to settle for "last gen" models.. not that it should matter too much.

I only use Unifi for wireless access, their products are excellent and the equipment i have currently has been in service for five years and has been extremely reliable. I have four UAP-AC-PRO's covering about 4000sqft of house and have no dead spots.  All of my AP's are hard-wired with CAT6 back to a pair of Cisco switches - if you can stretch to cabling them in like this it will improve overall performance. If you can't (or don't want to hardwire the APs back to the switch) then they do support meshing. I can't speak to the performance/reliability of this as I've never used it, but expect it to work fine..) 

Once you've settled on the equipment, setup should be very straight forward.

Edit: it's worth also calling out AmpliFi - i believe that this is Ubiquiti's "consumer" focused brand but i imagine you can expect the same high performance from it - they have mesh bundles that include router + 2 APs for ~£300)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

I use VM hub 3 in modem mode. This is then connected to a UniFi dream machine pro. This is an all in one product that has an 8 port switch. Unfortunately this isn’t POE so a separate switch would be required to power any access points if they are not near a plug socket. With my setup I have the 24 port POE switch from UniFi that has 16 POE ports. Into this I have 3 Nano HD access points, coverage is an issue upstairs in the extension due to double thickness brick walls hence the need for three APs. 

utilising the built in protect features of the UDM pro I have a WD red 4TB hard drive that records CCTV from 3x G3 bullet cameras on our house. Am desperate to find the G4 doorbell but can’t seem to find anybody selling them for UK market. 

as somebody has previously said, it isn’t the bleeding edge of network gear but after purchase it is licence free and I have found it very resilient, easy to manage and reliable for the family. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos