cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basildon: Install. Should I Worry?

Mouseco
Tuning in

Hi all,

Possibly moving to a new home, and arranged for Virgin to install in advance, (2nd Feb). Since I got a text saying they needed to do some work before the install but no worry as they wouldn't be on the property. This appointment was two weeks ago, but seems to get constantly rolled till tomorrow. 

I called customer services and they said everything is OK. But still the appointment seems to roll. 
I wont post two weeks worth of screenshots, but examples below. 

E7E7B12B-DDD6-419F-B96D-17003DCF402F.png

A1B91DCC-9EE5-4802-9B92-DDB4C72171DA.png

5 REPLIES 5

jem101
Superstar

Should you worry? Absolutely yes!
You might want to take a look at some of the other threads on here regarding delays in installation which make the building of a Pyramid look like a quick and easy process.

OK let’s be really fair, you say ‘possibly moved to a new home on 2nd’, we’ll are you or aren’t you? If you were VM would you invest the time and effort to install cables if there’s a chance you will never take up the service? Secondly it is difficult for a company (despite what customer services might say - and I wouldn’t trust them to be able to find their backside with both hands), to install anything prior to you moving in, unless, of course you already own the property and are able to give permission for them to lay the cables, dig up the garden etc. Otherwise if you don’t already own the property, then VM would be in a while world of legal issues if they were to just turn up and start doing work.

Anyhow, that was just me being scrupulously fair to both sides. Now there is a real chance that VM won’t get around to connecting you up anytime this decade, so what alternatives are there at this new address? Can you organise something else on a rolling monthly contract?

Sorry, to clarify:

Yes i have bought the house, The current owners (now sons) have given permission for the cable to be installed prior to the deposit / exchange date. The house currently had no connections to it, as it was an elderly couple.

The reason for ’maybe’ moving, is without internet i cannot do my Job so wouldn't be moving to the property till i got that sorted.

The current owners have also spoken to Virgin to confirm, as obviously a property without ability to get the internet…. Isnt worth as much in todays modern world (whole other topic of conversation).

Thank you for your devils advocate though, proof i should of typed more 🙂

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You might want to arrange a Now rolling 30 day contract to start when you move.  That should give you connectivity without locking you in for 12-18 months.  It will be relatively expensive (notably circa sixty quid connection fee - check for other charges when disconnecting), but at least you'd have internet.  If VM don't get you connected when they first say, you could be looking at months of delays.  As @jem101 says, the longest delay of which we're aware was exactly 365 days after the first promised installation date. That is exceptional, but delays of weeks or months have been regularly reported here. 

Yer in arranging something with EE Mobile Broadband via work, since my faith in Virgin is dropping rapidly to…. Oil dredging depths, mostly after reading these forums! 

I actually spent yesterday doing a full survey of the property from 7 to 7 so was there incase the VM man appeared…. He did not annnnd its now rolled till today 😮 

D800FFE4-E1F9-4186-AE32-33DECD770119.png

Hi Mouseco,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thank you for your post.

I'm sorry to hear that there's been some issues with the installation at your new property, I appreciate this must be frustrating. Sadly, if these types of appointments appear to keep getting pushed to the following day, this usually means that they have not been scheduled in correctly which will need rectifying. We're limited to what we can to do help with new installs and move requests from the forums unfortunately, but I can get a complaint raised for you and assign to the relevant team so they can contact you to discuss this further and get things sorted.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can take some details 🙂

Beth