cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Base LED shows Red on Hub 3.0

radiantspike
Tuning in

Hello, I've just noticed my Virgin Media hub 3.0 base LED is glowing red where it was always white previously.  I've only noticed this today.  I looked in the easy setup guide & it doesn't elaborate any further than saying there's a fault.

The internet still seems to be working ok on my end...  just wondering if this is possibly linked to the hot weather we've been experiencing recently.  I've done the usual things like switching off and leaving off for a period then switching back on again but makes no difference.  Any one can offer any help I would really appreciate it...

Thanks in advance...

Oliver. 

11 REPLIES 11

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Turn the hub off, leave for half an hour and then turn on. If it’s still red the hub will probably need replacing. A VM staff member should get to your post shortly.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks I'll give that a go.. I've already tried resetting it & I've given the vents a brush down..  then I'll post back with the findings...

Thanks

Oliver

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @radiantspike, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to see you are getting the red light on the hub, I would recommend checking the following on the hub if possible:

• Turn the power switch off on the back of the Hub. 

• Ensure the Hub is upright, in a well-ventilated location, and, if at all possible, out of direct sunlight. 

• Then use the power switch to turn the unit back on. The Hub should now operate normally

Once done and you still have the red light, please let us know so we can look at replacing the hub.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for the welcome.. Yes I've tried all of the above I've also tried the reset but this made no difference.

I turned the Hub off & left it powered off for 30 minutes.. also brushed it down to make sure there were no blockages.

Where its situated the windows open & its not in direct sunlight & its well vented.  The Hub was warm but its not hot.

It was probably due to the hot weather. 

Thanks for the help.

Oliver..

Is there somewhere specific on this forum I need to be posting this issue to better highlight a fault with the router? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the red LED comes back after a power cycle, the Hub needs replaced.

A RED led is an overheating warning and it needs to be replaced. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

VM need to setup a section on this forum just for potential technical faults & issues so it flags someone who can deal with it quicker. 

Hi how do I get the attention of a VM member of staff please?  I'm still experiencing the same problem with the Red Light on the Router.  There is a serious problem because its affecting my upload speeds..

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@radiantspike wrote:
VM need to setup a section on this forum just for potential technical faults & issues so it flags someone who can deal with it quicker. 

Hi how do I get the attention of a VM member of staff please?  I'm still experiencing the same problem with the Red Light on the Router.  There is a serious problem because its affecting my upload speeds..

Hi @radiantspike 

Your post was actually flagged by a fellow VIP so it would receive a quicker response due to the hub 3's red light and the possibility of it over heating and causing a fire. This is a process for all red light issues on the hub 3.

Otherwise posts tend to be answered on the basis of the oldest one awaiting a  response is prioritised Adding to the thread, or creating a new post can place you further down in the queue.

As such the forums aren't an instant messaging service, and it can take a  couple of days to receive a response via the foums.

If you would like a quicker response them I'm afraid you should use the phone service, preferably around 8am when lines first open and are least busy.

Phone calls always take priority, even over the text, whatsapp and messenger services. 

@radiantspike wrote:

I used to work in a technical call centre..  what we used to get up to would probably shock people or maybe not.  Not me though I used to do my best to help people.  Some of the call handlers would put their customers on hold & go on a bathroom break.  It was a way of establishing who's in control.peeds..

I have worked in call centres, for broadband, mobile, and energy suppliers. I too used to do my utmost to help people (and fellow agents) and would take longer than necessary on calls to ensure I could offer a first time resolution wherever possible.  I've also seen at first hand what some agents may do whilst on calls.  It's not just applicable to VM, and thankfully not applicable to all agents..

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali