Menu
Slybacon
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BUILDING TOO HIGH?

Just had the engineer out to install to no avail.  I live on the top floor a tenement building with 4 floors.  The trunking for the cable outside has been covered with Cladding but there are access points to that trunking on the outside of the cladding on every floor for access to the cable.  Engineer has refused to do the install advising that they can't touch the cladding (fair enough).  They don't NEED to touch the cladding!!!  Should I have no Broadband because Virgin Media can't be bothered doing the install?

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: BUILDING TOO HIGH?

If it's on the outside of the building, that's a problem regardless of the cladding, because VM technicians aren't trained and equipped to work at height, unlike Sky and satellite installers.  If you watch Sky installers, because of the nature of their installations, they're equipped with secured helmets, fall restraint systems, proper long reach ladders and related safety kit, and you can see from how they work that they've been properly trained for working at height.  VM don't normally need any of that.  There's also the potential need for landlord, service company and other prior approvals to use and access service ducts, which complicates things.

And since VM have no universal service obligation, they don't have to connect anyone if they think they can't do that safely and at an acceptable cost.  There are a few people in this forum who might be able to advise of workarounds, or ways of persuading VM to review this, but my point here is simply "don't hold your breath".  If there's other residents on upper floors who have a VM connection there's hope, if not then I'd be surprised if VM will connect you.  Sorry that's certainly not a view you wanted to hear.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Superstar
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

From your description it sounds like Virgin would have to pull a new cable through the full height of that trunking.  They will need permission from the building manager to do this. In view of the risk of damage to existing cables in the trunking this permission may not be given. 

I think you may need to look elsewhere for your broadband service.  Is there already an Openreach connection? 

0 Kudos
Slybacon
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm told the council dropped all digital access down plastic tubing to each house before they rendered the walls so that nobody had to drill through exterior walls. Possible that the access is in the attic.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin use their own cables. If one of theirs was already installed the Virgin engineer would have a record of it. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Slybacon wrote:
I'm told the council dropped all digital access down plastic tubing to each house before they rendered the walls so that nobody had to drill through exterior walls. Possible that the access is in the attic.

Maybe you already have broadband then and you just need access to it. Some flats have ethernet sockets in one of the rooms which connects to a community service, where as some others have wireless access points on each floor which you can subscribe to as part of your monthly service costs. These types of premises typically take a dim view when you ask if you can have VM installed as you could spoil the look of the building by running cables everywhere. Check around.

0 Kudos
Slybacon
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

There are access panels to the VM trunking outside every window (the housing association put these in because nobody is permitted to touch the cladding on the building).  My neighbours all have VM.  This is just bizarre!  1 hour on chat to no avail.  30 minutes on phone so far to the install team.  I reckon the engineer just wasn't keen on working today.

0 Kudos
Slybacon
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And after 30 minutes on hold, i've just been cut off.  Give me strength!

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If your neighbours have Virgin Media, that's a different matter.  You didn't mention that before. 

Are you sure there isn't a socket somewhere in the flat?  The building manager will still need to approve any new cables or holes through walls. 

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Slybacon, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having an issue with getting installed. I can see the pre installs team have advised what needs to happen next however we will need to pass data protection to give you the information. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos