Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

BT contract ends 3rd Nov, Virgin starts on 5th, Virgin installation unconfirmed

Hi there,

I'm in a potential 'perfect storm' situation. My internet contract with BT ends on the 3rd November, and my Virgin fibre installation is on the 5th of November. When a Virgin site assessor visited my property a couple of weeks ago, he said he wasn't sure if it was actually possible to install the infrastructure required to get my property setup with fibre, he even said it was unlikely.

Then a few days later I came back from work to find Virgin had drawn marks outside my property indicating where the infrastructure installation should be done. I confirmed with a mod on this forum that it was indeed Virgins marks, and that there was still a chance the installation would go ahead.

However, I really need to know before the 3rd Nov if it's going ahead or not because if it has been cancelled I will need to let BT know I'd like to continue on with them. Otherwise if Virgin cancel on the 4th or 5th, I will be left without internet.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT contract ends 3rd Nov, Virgin starts on 5th, Virgin installation unconfirmed

Yes. You are opting for the most **bleep**-eyed solution to this issue that it is possible to imagine. The considered advice on this Forum is when switching from a BT Openreach provider to VM is to maintain the first contract until you are sure that your VM installation is up and working or you risk being left with no services.

Judging by your description I would already be arranging to extending my BT contract.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT contract ends 3rd Nov, Virgin starts on 5th, Virgin installation unconfirmed

What you need to think about is how much is your internet connection worth ? 

Personally I would much prefer paying BT for an extra month "just in case" than being risked without internet access. So I personally would just let the BT service roll over onto a month by month basis, and once you have a working Virgin connection, then submit my 30 days notice. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Z92 for your response, I think that is the avenue I'll go down. While it may seem like the obvious option, the complicating factor is I am not the bill payer. I rent and the letting agent pays for the internet, so extending the BT contract is a bill that would fall on them that I'd rather not force, as they've already only reluctantly agreed to switch to Virgin. That's why it'd be great to know before the 3rd.

HowardML I've reported your message to the moderators. Unnecessarily rude and hostile response.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

I have just reached out to the local team for an update, will let you know once they come back to me. At the moment there is no delay on the system but as previously discussed its still not finalised.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Great, thanks Jon for your assistance, as usual!

Chris

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@ChrisShaw29 wrote:

... snip ...

HowardML I've reported your message to the moderators. Unnecessarily rude and hostile response.

Thanks,

Chris

Howard has said mothing that is rude or hostile.

He has said it how it is, maybe not to your liking but definitely true.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

He has said it how it is, maybe not to your liking but definitely true.

I disagree. Not only was "You are opting for the most **bleep**-eyed solution to this issue" not necessary, it was verging on malicious. You can tell someone that you think it's the wrong route to go down without using such phrases. As a VIP I would expect such a person to act more appropriately. 

I'm not sure if the **bleep** was put in by the board automatically or was typed, but if the former it's even worse and should be reported to a moderator. 

0 Kudos