cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful experience with installation

evand79
Tuning in

As others here we have no wall socket for quick install.  

I am very distressed by the experience of dealing with Virgin Media customer service and need to understand where I stand and what my next steps should be. 

When I signed up to VM I was under the naïve impression that the services transfer will be smooth.  VM confirmed that they can supply our property, I notified the other provider, received the appropriate equipment and scheduled the transfer day for the 27thof May.  On the day I discovered that there is no wall socket inside our property, so I promptly called the customer services and the engineer was scheduled for the following day, when it was discovered that although there is an outside box intact, there is no signal coming to the property.  They needed to call another team and that is not going to happen for several days. 

Now it was getting really inconvenient.  I am a distance learning student and a carer to my disabled husband who heavily relies on internet for pretty much everything.  We home educate our child, so internet is vital.  We host a Ukrainian family on homes for Ukraine scheme and their 6yo child needs internet for his daily classes with Ukrainian teachers as well as the mother who keeps in touch with her husband back in Ukraine and the grandparents on occupied lands in Eastern Ukraine.  By then the mother’s sim card is empty of data and my hotspot is under severe strain.  Almost in tears I call VM who inform me that although they promised a dongle, we actually do not qualify as we are not a ‘pre-installation client’.  I call the previous provider to see if we can reinstate their contract and find out that there is two weeks waiting for us to be reconnected.  I have to spend hours trying to find out what to do, we buy a £70 wifi router and get a £30 unlimited sim card from Lebara (bought another provider first but their signal was very poor).

Then several days later another team came and disappeared a few hours later (no thank you, no updates).  I had to call the VM to find out what happened - that there is a cable damage in the grass verge next to a house several doors away and they need to contact the council for the permission to dig.  I explained that it is not council’s property as clearly state by “Private Road” sign upon the entry to the close, so depending on where the damage is it needs to be agreed by one or several of my neighbours. 

Last week the digging team have finally arrived without a prior warning from VM.  The following day another person arrived to bring the cable to the wall of the property.  They were brilliant, restored the cable to the property but we still need to wait for a VM person to come and bring the cable inside our property.  So, the question is why didn’t the first engineer install the cable inside the property when he visited first?

If you managed to get this far, I am ever so sorry for the long post.  We still have no internet.  No date for the engineer to come beyond that it is sometime in July.  Today VM took £28 for the first month of nothing being supplied. 

I do not want to wait any more.  I want to cancel, I want my money back.  Also, I want VM pay back £100 which we spend on wifi router and the sim.  Can someone please help me figuring out what my rights are in this situation and who I should be calling next because I have spent hours calling the customer services and I know that they won’t be doing anything.

PS I have already initiated the formal complaint last week and was told someone will call me within 48hrs.  Nobody did.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @evand79,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that this has been your experience with our team and that your family is still not connected! I do apologise about this.

I'll be more than happy to look into this for you and see what I can do to help. We would hate to lose you as a customer. I will send you a Private Message to confirm some details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon to discuss this further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I have asked for VM forum staff to address this as a matter of priority.  There are certainly routes of escalation and you are entitled to significant compensation, but if VM are not forthcoming then dragging the company to the naughty chair is a relatively slow process, and reading your post on how you feel, and your domestic circumstances, I reckon that you can probably do without that unless absolutely necessary. 

See what is proposed by the company, if it doesn't qualify as a complete settlement of the matter for you and include a very, very generous then say so, and I'll explain how to put VM's corporate fingers through the mangler.   

Companies that behave like this shouldn't be allowed to operate.

Thank you so much Andrew.  Your answer is very helpful.  I called VM this afternoon to find out if there is any movement on my installation date and it has been moved to Tuesday!  So, this is already fantastic.  Meanwhile we still have nothing and still pay for their services.  Not sure how this works.  Nobody is willing to talk to me about the complaint either. 

Can I ask you if you know if I can pass to them the price of the MiFi router and the sim card we had to buy?  They originally promised me the dongle but then pulled the offer as somehow we didn’t qualify as “pre-installation” client.  It is just under £100.   When you say “compensation” is this what you mean? 

Many thanks again! 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

you cannot pass on any costs - you are entitled to compensation at £5.25 a day for each date it is late from the original install day - if they miss any appointments where you are required to be in then thats £25 compensation 0 keep a log for when its likely to go to CISAS - add a couple of hundred further compensation for all the rubbish thats been said and never happened

you should not be paying anything now - you are not the first this has happened to - i will flag the thread and lets see if VM can get that bit sorted - if not add it to the claim plus another hundred or two for robbing you - dont stop a DD - whist 99% of VM CS is rubbish the bit that works like a swiss clock is collecting money and when the cannot its out to the debt collectors and a black mark on your credit file

and whatever happens don cancel the install - if you do that they will cancel all work orders and if you want it in the future you start again - so let it run even if you decide enough is enough and go to another isp - just cancel in the 14 day cooling off period and sit there collecting £5.25 a day - you will finish up at CICAS no doubt but plenty here will talk you through that

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thank you so much, Tony.  

Just to understand, we are outside the 14 day cooling period.  Can I still cancel without any penalties given we don’t have the service?  And I presume if I cancel I won’t be able to keep the install appointment.  

But I can go ahead and get another supplier at least, so that we can have a stable internet in the property.  

I have so much going on here atm - assignment deadlines, just went out to help the family talking to the head of the new school, my husband has falls almost every day due to epilepsy and hemiplegia from a long-standing brain injury.  I am normally completely in control, but I am a user, and know nothing about technology, so get very thrown off by not able to access basic things.  

Sorry, I just reread and you make it clear not to cancel the installation appointment.  I won’t do that! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @evand79,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that this has been your experience with our team and that your family is still not connected! I do apologise about this.

I'll be more than happy to look into this for you and see what I can do to help. We would hate to lose you as a customer. I will send you a Private Message to confirm some details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon to discuss this further.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

the 14 day cooling off period starts the day you go live so thats not started yet - and you picked up about not cancelling

see what VM have to say - they should be able to sort out why the system is charging you - you should not be paying anything - as to help from forum staff with the install - they wil try - they will push to get things moving but history says they will not be able to do anything - the install system - when it works is good - as soon as a spanner gets in the works just forget getting any meaningful info - ring CS and it will be tomorrow - guaranteed and when it goes belly up start again - tomorrow - guaranteed

save your sanity and your hairline - let it happen - dont bother asking all you will get is BS

and just take the £5.25 a day - until they install it and you decide if you still want it

as i and others have said it will [likely] end up at CISAS

Tony.
Sacked VIP

This is very clear, thank you so much!