cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful Service. How Do I Cancel Virgin Media Broadband?

seama3
Tuning in

Virgin broadband ordered on 18/06/23 and still not connected. I've had 3 dates booked and despite waiting in all day on every booking, they have either not turned up or said they cannot do anything! Today I have been told that the next booking is not going to be until 25/07/23, 5 weeks after ordering this awful service.

I've been on-hold to VM for over an hour now.

How do I can cancel broadband? Is it possible via the online account?

7 REPLIES 7

Omadawn
Up to speed

You, theoretically, can cancel at any time by calling them.

But you might want to think of it like this, until VM actually connect you up, then you aren’t paying them anything, however under the OFCOM regulations which VM agreed to and signed up for, they are obliged to pay you compensation of a little under £6 per day from the first, given in writing, installation/go live date, until you get connected up.*

So realistically, you have a number of options, firstly, and this is my preferred option, is to mentally set yourself a target date, once that date passes, then simply sign up with another provider and get connected up. If you don’t actually cancel the VM install, then the compensation, actually keeps ticking up, and you are absolutely entitled to it. Eventually they get around to connecting you up, but you then cancel under the 14 day cooling off period, pay nothing, but know that the cables are all in place and working. And you are still entitled to the compensation!

Win-Win really, well for you, not so much for VM, but whatever!

* now there is a non zero chance of a response from a member of the forum team, VM employees, mentioning ‘council or local authority permissions’ as a reason for the delay. This is actually completely erroneous and doesn’t excuse VM from paying the compensation, but they may well word it in a way that ‘suggests’ they are off the hook and hence you have no claim. This is actually, rubbish.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello Seama3, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the community.

We apologise for the delays with the installation and the problems reaching the team. 

In order to assist further, I am going to pop you over a private message to take a few details This will be available via the red bar at the top of the page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

seama3
Tuning in

I'd like to know why the installation hasn't happened so far? When will this service go live? I have waited since 18th June 2023.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for your reply. 

The install has been delayed as our team are needing to pull a new cable to the property as per your landlords requests. 

Unfortunately, when attempting to do this, they have discovered that the access point has been blocked with debris in the footpath and further construction work is required before they can complete this. 

The work to complete this is booked for the 25th July. 

Thank you 

Nat 

Nat

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@seama3 wrote:

I'd like to know why the installation hasn't happened so far? When will this service go live? I have waited since 18th June 2023.

you will get to know nothing as its more than likely VM know nothing - the initial part of the install is in the hands of contractors - once the job is booked with them by VM all communications stop - staff here have no way to contact them and any and all install dates are no more than guess work - the longest known install delay is 18 months so you may be just starting - it might all happen tomorrow or you could be in for a long wait - sit back and see what happens - asking for [meaningful] info is a complete waste of time as [as said] no one has a clue

Tony.
Sacked VIP

So why has this now been rescheduled to 21st September 2023? The original date was 22nd June 2023.

There's absolutely no way I'll be waiting 18 months. Time to contact BT ... via Trust Pilot of course!