Menu
ja89
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Auto Compensation Scheme... Is it fair?!

So for the last two weeks I have had intermittent internet issues, ive spoken with Virgin Media countless times via Twitter, the text service and by phoning them 3 or 4 times. 

First I was told to check my router was connected properly, it was, they the call handler reset it and it reconnected, he assured me it wouldn't be a problem anymore, yet it repeatedly lost connection intermittently over the course of the last two weeks.

Finally this week a separate call handler arranged for an engineer to come out. He came out today, checked the signal strength and advised it was 'way out' he went to the cabinet to investigate, returning half an hour later to advise that a 'faulty connector in cabinet was causing the signal loss', he went on to say that basically it had corroded and that was why we was looking connection.

I called Virgin to ask if any refund was possible due to the fact this had been an intermittent problem for the lat week, resulting in my not being able to access the internet on carious evening and affecting my TV services also. 

I was told to visit the link that details the automatic compensation scheme and basically told point blank no refund would be considered... This is poor service in my opinion... especially when the fault was with Virgin Media's equipment! £85.99 a month for a service that is unreliable is not at all VALUE FOR MONEY!

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Auto Compensation Scheme... Is it fair?!

fair?

from a business point of view, virgin, sky,bt etc are certainly not going to issue 'compensation' every time someone's internet drops for a bit, even if it has happened more than once.

compensation is issued after 2 full working days from registering the loss of service. that is what was agreed with ofcom.

regardless of the fault, which virgin should repair asap, there is no compensation requirement from isp's unless there is a total loss of service for the length of time previously stated.

you could make an official complaint. if it wasn't resolved then cisas.

ja89
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If not 'compensation', how about a reduction in fees due to the loss/interruption of service? 🙂

Issue here for me was that customer support drags their heels to fault find and troubleshoot, not fixing the issue, to FINALLY send out an engineer who confirms its an equipment fault.

I understand the reasoning behind fault finding, especially when 9 times out of 10 it may be due to user error/a glitch in the system, but when its equipment failure OUTSIDE of the customers control then why is it 'fair' for the customer be expected to pay their full fee.

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I would phone up and go through the option "Thinking of Leaving us" and ask them for compensation.

It will not be much if you get it, but I agree with you that if you couldn't get them to acknowledge a fault for over a week then it's been quite a inconvenience towards you.  What really will matter here is if the staff looked at the signal levels when you complained and if they looked good.  If all of the signals looked good and they didn't take action then that's understandable and reasonable.  If the signals looked bad but your test were "good enough" for them to ignore you then that's not, in my eyes at least, reasonable.  I have no idea what notes are added to the customer account when you call support and they find nothing wrong, it's possible they don't even log it.

If you go through the thinking of leaving us option and they don't give you any compensation then I would just leave it at that, trying to push it beyond that will likely not get you anywhere.

The "Automatic" scheme terms are written in such a way that the majority of people who should get compensation will not, so while they say it's automatic I wouldn't accept that.  Just phone up the retention "thinking of leaving us" team and say it took two weeks to fix the problem and you would like some compensation for the partial loss of service over those two weeks.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos