Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Are Virgin for real or taking the **bleep**

I have been a customer for years my contract expired on black Fri. I tried to contact but kept getting cut off until I decided to look elsewhere so I called retentions to cancel as my bill went up by 35 pounds and I had a good offer from another provider. The following day I get a call from retentions offering me a new deal with a faster BB speed along with a V6 box instead of the crap TIVO I have now. there was a 25 pounds activation fee for new box but I disagreed as I would self install and the line is already active so why an activation fee? The rep then told me that they would scrub the fee if I agreed to a new 12-month contract so I did. My new bill was supposed to be less than the current one until I get this E-mail.

Your new monthly bundle cost is: £49.00*.
Your next bill will be £170.59* which includes CR £18.36 to cover your changes up until your next bill period. There is also a one-off charge of £139.95 for installation or activation.
Your attached contract contains full details of your new package, plus all details and costs.
Any questions along the way? Find the answers fast in My Virgin Media. You can also view your contract any time you like.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

* Just to let you know, this cost doesn't include any call or Pay per view costs. It doesn't include any outstanding balance, payment handling or paper bill fees either. Just your basic cost.

£139.95 for install, are they having a **bleep**ing laugh or what?  Either this is a mistake or the rep has blatantly lied to me!

Help

My Virgin Media

Contact us
Please do not reply to this email
VWL14

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Are Virgin for real or taking the **bleep**

From their website...
----
TV

Set up fee £35.00 applies.

Virgin TV V6 box: There is a £99.95 fee for existing customers taking their first Virgin TV V6 plus £35 set up fee. Virgin TV V6 box included with selected bundles. New customers taking their first Virgin TV V6 will not be charged extra. Customers wishing to upgrade or take an additional V6 will be charged an upfront fee of £99.95, but the £35 set up fee applies. New Ultimate Oomph customers get second Virgin TV V6 box for free (plus £35 set up fee). Additional Virgin TV V6 boxes are available for £99.95 plus £35 set up fee plus £7.50 per month. Additional Virgin TV V6 boxes are available to new customers for £49.95 plus £35 set up fee plus £7.50 per month.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Whatever was actually promised in the call with retentions is legally binding on VM, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, if you relied upon the information to make your choice.  If they didn't mention (for example) the £99 V6 fee, then they probably can't enforce it for that reason.  If they referred to "our standard T&Cs" then they probably can.

I suggest you make a Subject Access Request under the terms of GDPR and VM's Privacy Policy.  This will either include recordings of your calls, and in that case you'll be able to rely on what was said, or if the recordings "have been lost", then there's no basis of any contract between you and VM - and you're free to either renegotiate or tell them that you're taking your business elsewhere.

If VM aren't cooperative, you will need to make a formal complaint to VM, and when that has no good outcome* you should escalate to the arbitration service CISAS.  Be aware that the whole process could be slow, bureaucratic, and you'll need to communicate in short, pithy bullet point paragraphs - neither the VM complaints team, nor CISAS will know anything about the background of your concerns.

* Yes, I'm an optimist. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The rep I spoke to told me they would scrub the charge as I`d terminated so technically a new customer, and they wanted to retain me. no mention of the ridiculous charge otherwise I would have told them to jog on! and I will be doing exactly that tomorrow (if I can get through) I have been a VM customer for more yrs than I care to remember and losing a loyalty bonus of £14 being left with obsolete equipment,(Old TIVO box)  being charged line rental for a non-existent landline is unacceptable really. The rep told me my bill would be adjusted to part of this month till the 21st on the old contract and the £45 thereafter. the E-mail shows £49PM with the ridiculous install and activation fee on top! My point is there is no engineer booked as I will self install and the line is already active. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear that, all charges would be displayed on the new contract. When was the package agreed and have you got any conformation that it would be waived? ^Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Chris, apart from the conversation with the rep who put me on hold to speak to his manager no I don`t. Is there any way poss recording of the said conversation can be looked into? Thanks.

0 Kudos