Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Archer AX6000 help needed

My nephew has the Archer AX6000 and he wants to have it in his bedroom. How do I set it up to my hub 3 please. Not very good at tech stuff so I need step by step guide.lol. Thank you. Any help much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Archer AX6000 help needed

It can be achieved with a LAN to LAN connection, requires an Ethernet cable to be run from the hub to his bedroom. Are you able to get this cable run done?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No. My hub is in the living room and he wanted to connect the new router to the bedroom wireless. Is there any way of doing it without running a cable upstairs. 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It has to be a cable, drill a hole through the ceiling and lift some floorboards, do this one-off job or he'll suffer bad WiFi whilst he's up there.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Or if you don't want to drill ceilings you can take the cable outside up the external wall and then back into his bedroom that way. My last house I put the WiFi point in the loft which broadcast to the entire upstairs rooms perfectly. Still WiFi though so if he plays games he'll much prefer a proper cable in his room. 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I totally agree that direct ethernet cabling is always the "best" solution. However there is another potential option - see below for background or just Google it. My lad is an avid online gamer who will never use wifi so he has a pair of powerline adapters and gets great speeds and has not complained in 3 years. Once set up and working he could use the other router for wifi or a direct ethernet connectin for better coverage.
-----
You need 2 powerline adapters. One connected to the Hub by short cable and the other in the room connected to the devices by short cable(s). Use Cat6a ethernet cables to do the connections. I would also get the highest rated "speeds" you can afford. Netgear do an AC2000 one as well as an AC1200 or 1000 - which should be good enough (its what I use). Also "passthrough" power sockets are very useful to have. Also decide whether you want the ethernet port(s) on the top or bottom of the units (they supply both). Note - dont plug them into extension cable boxes as that stuffs them (hence passthrough" is good) and your electrical circuits must at least go through the same consumer unit (fuse box) - noise on the circuitry can also be a problem but you wont know that until you try them - or have the circuit(s) tested.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. Could I ask if you changed the hub 3 to modem mode then set up the AX6000 router to it could I then set it up wireless and more to the bedroom or will that need to stay near my hub 3? It’s all a bit too confusing to me. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you put the hub in modem mode you still need a cable to the archer for it to be a wireless access point plus you lose the WiFi in the hub for down stairs then.... 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If he keeps it plugged in downstairs will it be better? Or should he have got something else instead. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If he's only got one thing to plug in like a PlayStation then if you are not willing to start drilling holes the best thing to do is power line adaptors. Put one down stairs next to the hub link with an ethernet cable and put one upstairs in his bedroom. Not as good as a dedicated cable but better than WiFi. You don't need the router then. If he wants WiFi as well as can't get a good signal to downstairs then you can plug the upstairs cable into the WiFi router. 

0 Kudos