Menu
Smithers1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Appalling service

This seems to be Popular subject when I typed it in!! I know I’m not the first and won’t be the last to suffer at the hands of VirginMedia - they have to be hands down the worst customer service provider in the UK. Their incompetence has left me without broadband for 10 days as my wife and I try to work from home and my 3 kids try to home school and, as im sure you’re all - their a communications company that you can’t communicate with! No email, no UK numbers, spent at least 6 hrs waiting on the phone since the weekend. Has anyone got a strategy that actually works? That gets something done? Does anyone have the CEO’a email? Phone number? My only route seems to be OFCOM, who I’ve already contacted and I encourage everyone else to do the same.. we’re stronger together!  

0 Kudos
e110074
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Appalling service

Look at other broadband providers and get something provisionally booked in.

Send Virgin Media recorded delivery letter of notification of cancellation to their HQ citing loss of service, duration, all of the failed attempts to get in touch, time spent, effects that it has had on business, education etc:

270 & 280 Bartley Way

Bartley Wood Business Park

Hook

Hampshire

RG27 9UP 

So long as you have a reference, then cancelling the direct debit will be fine, and should there be any blip Virgin wish to put on to a credit file, can be easily removed with evidence of exhausting all avenues, due to their failure of service (and / or support) 

Smithers1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks! I’ll do that. 

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Not clear if you are a current customer whose service is not working or you are waiting for an installation. Presumably a new installation as you are in the 'Quick Start' forum.

Before trying any of the above at message #2 it is worth noting that the correct address to cancel in writing is actually here

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

Search through the 'Account - Cable' forum and you will find many posts describing why just simply cancelling your DD is not a good idea at all. VM will simply process it as a bad debt which has caused some significant problems for other people posting on that forum.

As an alternative, leave this topic open and see if the forum team can help you. They can take up to a week to reply but are usually quicker than that.

If phoning, the default advice on the forums is to call early at 08:00 for the best chance of getting through.

Also, worth noting that if you intend to go with an Openreach provider, there have been some recent mentions that some new Openreach installations are being pushed into March (depending on what existing Openreach infrastructure you have in place and what new services you are ordering from them).

If you would like to provide some more info on what has gone wrong with VM it may help the VM forum team to respond and others on the forum may also be able to advise.

e110074
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

As goslow stated, the address may wrong and the correct one I am sure they have posted, but you would need their reference / response, and take it from there. So long as the letter is recorded delivery, so that you have evidence of an attempt at resolution. Proof of delivery is assumed 'read' regardless if they've even read it or not if you have proof of delivery. But it is also as a last stage. Phone calls (which I'm sure you've already done) and other avenues should be sought first. Make sure you detail times of calls, duration, issues, the costs involved and anything worth noting

0 Kudos
Smithers1
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - that’s helpful. Yes - I switched provider to VM and initially all was great (when they were selling) but then put my installation back 3 weeks, by which time Sky had stopped provision. The attempts to resolve this, to bring it forward or attempt to talk to anyone that could help have been multiple - phone calls, Twitter.. often for hours. They’ve told me someone will call me back 3-4 times, and no one has. They don’t take emails .. as you know, which is amazing. So now in the middle of 10 days with no connection - and of course I’m not confident that they’ll even arrive when they said they will. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK VM installations usually go fine but in some cases there can be problems. Some are the usual Covid-19 related ones but sometimes its due to the fact that an unexpected fault has occurred which sometimes involve unblocking ducts for wiring and that sometimes requires permission from your local council before they can start - and many of those wade in treacle. After that they then have to co-ordinate everything with 3d party digging teams and then their own install teams - this can add weeks or even months to install times and so accurate estimates are almost impossible.

I am not an apologist as they are shockingly bad at communicating what is going on but all you can do is contact the Preinstall team on 0800 052 1734 and try and get better info call at 08.00.

That said best advice on here is never to cancel any existing BB package with any other BB provider until VM is installed to your satisfaction. Your account doesn't actually start until that day and so no real need to cancel - you can do that for free within 14 days of the account activating anyway. If you get another package from elsewhere then you can decide which to keep in those 14 days. If OpenReach, Sky, BT etc, ar not options, look at 4G/5G packages - many of those can be had on 30-day contracts and no installations or cabling to worry about.  If you cancel VM at that point, then at least the line is installed and suitable for a Quickstart should you choose to swap to VM in the future.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Smithers1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Really appreciate your insight and advice. Isn’t it odd VM that customers provide the best comms and support? 

Thank You 

0 Kudos
Smithers1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Another delay in installation

Virgin delayed my installation 3 weeks ago to this coming Tuesday - we were left wothoiy broadband for 10 days. Today they’ve told me they are delaying for another 4 weeks. It’s appalling - we have 3 kids home schooling ans 3 adults working from home. I now need to switch providers before I’ve even started.. anyone now how to get compensation? Anyone successfully threatened legal action ? 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Another delay in installation

It is unlikely you will get any kind of compensation due to the current COVID situation. All the normal rules have been suspended. If the delay is a third party issue (contractors for construction issues or repulling cables or council permits) it is outside the scope of the OFCOM compensation agreement anyway.

Bear in mind that Openreach, that provide installs for the majority of other providers, have suspended all new installs until April.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos