Menu
t00s
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Apartment New Build - Requires FIRAS or 3rd Party Certified Fire Stoppers to assist installation

Hi,

I'm hoping someone from Virgin or someone else can point me in the right direction.

My property manager (I live in a flat) is okay with Virgin fibre optic lines being installed provided that Virgin are able to get a 3rd party to certify the fire stopping. 

Could someone point me in the right direction? The entire apartment complex want Virgin Media however the complex won't allow it if there isn't a 3rd party to certify the fire stopping.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Apartment New Build - Requires FIRAS or 3rd Party Certified Fire Stoppers to assist installation

Hi expecting virgin to supply and pay for 3rd parties, it just won't happen. Regards Micky
Strand123
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Apartment New Build - Requires FIRAS or 3rd Party Certified Fire Stoppers to assist installation

0 Kudos
t00s
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I've tried to explain this, I've even offered to pay for the work. They said they can't have a tenant be involved. 

Any ideas?  

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@t00s wrote:

I've tried to explain this, I've even offered to pay for the work. They said they can't have a tenant be involved. 

Any ideas?  

Ridiculous jobsworths, don't they realise that the Internet is almost as essential in this day and age as water and electricity, I'm sure some residents have electric heating in flats that's more of a risk than cable carrying broadband and TV which is very low power, can't you form a residents association and do away with those idiots.

0 Kudos
t00s
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately they were designated the property manager by the developer, so there's little chance of getting rid of them. 

Is there a way to speak to a Virgin member of staff? Surely they'd be able to figure out a work around with them. It's 14 properties alone in my tower that not only want but need better quality internet.

I was told the other surrounding properties have the same problem. There must be atleast 100 people that have to deal with ASDL internet. 

The Virgin street box is literally 15 feet from the property but we can't use it. 

If I knew this I would of thought twice about renting. 

0 Kudos
Jonny-M
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If Virgin Media make holes in fire breaks they should be reinstating them, this is how e.g. Openreach operate. This is a question that needs to go to the new sites team, I'm sure they've had to deal with this many times before.

If you have 100+ people in the same position then register your development with Hyperoptic, they almost exclusively work in apartments and will be able to install in compliance with all fire regulations.

0 Kudos
t00s
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately they deem VM's repairs to be inadequate. 

They require someone who is a certified fire stopper. 

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi again virgin will always be able to sell thier products and they know this, they are a business and want to make money if an install becomes uneconomical and to much trouble they will simply work away from it. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Jonny-M
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@t00s wrote:

Unfortunately they deem VM's repairs to be inadequate. 

They require someone who is a certified fire stopper. 

As people have said, you won't find a company that is happy to pay for a third party to do fire stopping once they've been in. They will install in a way that adheres to the fire regulations, and if there are issues with the work they will make return visits until it's resolved. If you want a third party to follow and perform the work then it will have to be added to the service charge. 

This insistence that VM, Hyperoptic, whoever pay a third party to do fire stopping work after they have been makes me think the property managers are aware of problems but are trying to get someone else to pay for them to be put right.

0 Kudos