Menu
stefgia
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Any advice for Virgin trying not to pay refund for not providing service

I tried posting this yesterday, but somehow the post doesn’t exist. This time I will be saving it as a document.

I am having issues with claiming a refund from Virgin from services not supplied. My story might be quite long, but my main questions are the following:

• Has anyone had issues claiming refund from Virgin?
  • Is there a special process?
  • Why is their “automated” refund not being triggered. They knew there was an issue in the area. Theoretically they fixed it yesterday (11/01/2021), but it seems fixing for Virgin means you have a connection for 5 seconds and you don’t for 5 seconds. So I guess for them I currently “have” internet connection, so they are not liable for this period of providing garbage service.

If you are interested in my story here it is:

On 30/12/2020 my broadband stopped working. I tried fixing it with the Virgin “guide”, but ofcourse it was no good. I tried calling them and was redirected to an automated message saying something along the lines “There is an issue at your postcode. We are fixing it.” This continued until about 06/01/2021. I would try to call them daily to get an estimate and I was redirected to the automated message whenever I would give them my account number or postcode. I had also subscribed to get automated messages regarding the progress of the work. From 06/01/2021 I did have a connection, but it was slow and on occasion it would disconnect, but it was manageable, and I guess reasonable since they were still fixing the issue.

Yesterday I received an automated message saying that the connection was fixed. Since then my connection went from bearable to abysmal. I basically cannot do a voice call which I need for my job, so I am back at using data.

I proceed with giving them a call to report the issue and ensure the automated refund has been triggered. The operator arranged an engineer for Saturday which she cancelled on the same call (ridiculous) and re-arranged for next Monday. Basically 1 week with what is a useless internet connection.

On the matter of the refund the operator said, “I don’t know about a refund, but I could give you a discount”. She offered me a discount which I was offered and rejected when I cancelled Sky which was part of my service. At this point I realised they did not cancel Sky as agreed on December. I let her know of that and I assumed that was sorted. After asking about the refund, she told me that I would have to wait for the engineer, and he/she would assess the refund I will be able to receive. At this point we hung up.

She then proceeded to call me after about 10min and tried to change the date of when my Sky package will be cancelled. At that point I made clear that I will not agree if I am going to be paying more on my next bill and I repeated that I agree with what we originally discussed with another Virgin operator in December. I do have a confirmation letter on that.

I’d like to conclude at this point that Virgin is behaving like a thug. You say something on the phone and then somehow this is not registered. They tell you to use the website for anything you need but the website doesn’t let you downgrade or file a refund claim. Their “automated” refund is simply not working. I cannot believe that they don’t know that I did not have internet for all that time. They are simply trying to avoid paying back what they agreed in the contract to pay. Not only that, but they are also trying to trick me into accepting a discount which by the looks of it they give to anyone who wants to complain or cancel Sky. If you are offered £6 off sky know you are being taken for a fool.

To any Virgin representative reading this, I would like to state that your behaviour towards me is insulting. Not only you are not providing the services you promised and keeping your contract obligations, but you are trying to scum me. I understand having technical issues and needing extended period to fix them. But you could easily offer an alternative to customers having issues, such as free data on your own mobile internet network. You could try keeping your customers informed about what the issue is and try to at least give an estimate of when it will be fixed. Most importantly you should try keeping up with your obligations in your contract, since I am keeping my end of the deal and continue to pay you.

To any customers reading this my advice in dealing with Virgin is the following:

• Keep calling them
  • Always ask for email confirmation of when you agreed on the phone
  • Always pay attention to what you agree on the phone
  • Always pay attention for tricks

Thanks,

Stefanos

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Any advice for Virgin trying not to pay refund for not providing service

Here is their compensation policy.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/automati...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My 0.02

It's unlikely the staff here can help, they might.  I would start an official complaint, if you do it by phone ask for a complaint reference number.  Also if you start a complaint never let more than 28 days go by between them contacting you and you replying - as they deem you not replying to them within 28 days as you being happy and the complaint is over.  You are correct that the automatic compensation scheme is poor (I can't help but think that's intentional).  Generally you need a full outage and it needs to last for a while before they start offering any form of compensation, but the staff (retention team at least) will offer a discount usually.

To me you have two issues.

The change of services that didn't happen.  If you know the date and time and exactly what was agreed on the phone then make a complaint about that not happening.

The service outage / non-supply.  To me this is something to not be content with.  I would contact the retention team with a view to cancelling due to the service not being supplied.  If your still in contract then you can get out without paying penalty fee's - but sometimes you need to give them a set amount of days to fix the issue.  They will often push the penalty argument towards you to keep you from leaving, but if your service has been on and off a lot that's reason enough, on top of that they also have their minimum speed guarantee that says you can cancel (tho, again, staff don't want you to leave).

Just remember when you contact them to be polite but firm, keep track of all numbers, names, times/dates, and specific promised changes.  I have found them okay in the past when dealing with complaint type issues (for me or others), but find them horrible for fixing specific problems (highly over utilized areas).

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/virgin-media-speed-policy <source:
What does the Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed mean?

If the actual download speed provided from our network to your Virgin Media Hub falls below the Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed, and this happens for 3 consecutive days or more (whether continuously or intermittently during each day), and we are unable to fix the problem within 30 days of you reporting the problem to us, you may have the right to end your agreement without paying an Early Disconnection Fee.  You need to contact us if you have a speed problem via the contact us page (click here).

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi stefgia,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to see the experience you've had. 

In regards to a loss of service credit, as the link jbrennand has provided it would need to be a continuous loss of service of over 2 days in order to be eligible. Once the issue has been resolved your account would then be reviewed, and a credit applied only if we are liable. 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
stefgia
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes I am aware of the terms. The problem is Virgin is basically refusing to acknowledge that I had loss of service for around 10 days.

Either this is to avoid paying, or they don't even know what is happening in their own network. Either way it's bad...

Stefanos

stefgia
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the response.

I have made a formal complaint and their resolution was to "Apologize to the customer". Then I called them and I had to make a new complaint over the phone, after which they have not contacted me. It is possible that the phone operator lied to me and never submitted a new complaint. So I will go ahead and submit another complaint.

It's been 2 months since this whole thing started. Now that's a really "automated" system ..

Stefanos

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Eight weeks from the date VM acknowledged your original complaint you can (and should) escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  They operate like the energy ombudsman, and they'll sort it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

stefgia
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ah thank you! I think that's what I needed. I made another complaint requesting to take the issue to an independent resolution organization, but I wasn't sure what it's called.

Thanks,

Stefanos

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A pleasure to help.  If it's not obvious, this is the CISAS web site.  Read the customer guidance carefully, and follow it, because as a dispute resolution service there are rules, and they have to stick by those rules.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks