cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any IP address experts on here?

soxer123
On our wavelength

The tech support of the company I work for tells me the reason I can;t connect to the company's server by VPN is that my router has the same IP address as theirs.

This is a little out of my depth, but he's told me if I changed one digit in my router IP address it shoudl work OK.

Is this something I can do and if so, is there anyone on here who gan give me an idiot proof procedure please?

Regards  Keith

8 REPLIES 8

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don’t see that it would make any difference, I think they are just trying to rob you off. The present firmware on the VM hubs restricts the LAN IP address to 192.168.0.0/24 and the hub is usually on 192.168.0.1. You might be able to change it to something like 192.168.0.250, but I am unsure as I run in modem mode. I wonder what 1 digit they mean.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Client62
Hero

The same IP story is utter poppycock.

It is as false as saying you can not call me because we have the same telephone number.

Some office laptops will work in a web browser before the VPN is connected, it is a handy test of the internet connection.

I'm assuming this laptop has worked before on the VM internet connection.

Are there error message from the VPN as it try to connect ?

If there are, those need to be passed to IT support to log as a fault call and for them to resolve.

Speak the the person's line manager if the same IP is repeated.

soxer123
On our wavelength

It was suggested that the 0 be changed to a 1 or another digit.

But you say there is no way for me to do that?

Keith

soxer123
On our wavelength

Thank you,  I will try to check this out.

I have connected to work via VPN in the past and then it started playing up. That was a while ago.

I will investigate and report further.

So previously with the office laptop the VM Hubs 192.168.0.xxx range was fine. So the IP range is not an issue.

Office laptop's are expected to work via internet connections at hotels & airports where we have no control of the IP range.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yeah, they don’t know what they are talking about. Anything in the 192.168.x.x range is a local LAN only and that address does not in any circumstance get transferred over the WAN.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@soxer123 wrote:

It was suggested that the 0 be changed to a 1 or another digit.

Ask them to change the bloody digit their end.😜

---------------------------------------------------------------

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Client62 wrote:

The same IP story is utter poppycock.

...not completely... 😑

---------------------------------------------------------------