cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another repull fail

watercooled
Superfast

Following on from intermittent connection problems mentioned in another thread, a VM tech visited yesterday and diagnosed a damaged cable so booked a repull, which was attempted today.

The short version is, we now have nothing at all. First contractor team completed repull and disappeared. Another team turned up wondering why they were booked because there was no obstruction or something, but asked if it was working. I said it wasn't. Modem won't sync, no TV, nothing. I was home in time to speak to the contractors who tried re-terminating the cable and changing taps without success, but said they couldn't do any more because they don't have any test equipment to check the signal themselves. One guy kept insisting it must be an internal wiring problem despite me explaining it was syncing fine on the old cable, and then claimed it was working because the router was broadcasting its SSID (which it will do even with the coax pulled out). And they spent some time criticising the work of the previous team. They then left saying there's nothing they can do, and to contact Virgin Media. Being Friday, that means no Internet until at least Monday (another appointment booked), assuming it's a simple fix, and perhaps longer if the new cable has been damaged and needs re-doing.

Even the tech support conversation was hard work; I must have tried to explain the situation about five times with long periods of silence wondering if I'd been disconnected in between.

What a shambles. I saw the horror stories on the forums but assumed it must be uncommon.

Why are people sent to complete a job if they don't have the correct tools to do it, leaving the customer worse of than before they arrived? And why is the process so disjointed?

17 REPLIES 17

Hi @watercooled thanks for your reply and we're sorry to hear this.

We've looked into this and there doesn't appear to be any faults on the line at the time of writing, have things stabilised since your post earlier today?

Many thanks

Tom_W

I have raised a complaint now so will see where that goes.

Yes it's working again now, as always it's intermittent, so it working now doesn't mean it's sorted. I ran the service status checker at the time which also reported an area fault (whatever that means), and received a notification later saying it was fixed. Technicians who have visited said it needs to be pushed to networks as there is nothing else regular visits can achieve as everything has been replaced.

@tony - No, I wasn't confident the fix (review) date would lead to anything, but I waited it out nonetheless. Yes, everything is tight. And every single part from cabinet back to modem has been replaced at some point, including the isolated outlet and splitter. Nothing at all is the same, even the small run of coax through the wall. I'm fairly confident it's an ongoing noise problem locally, and a conversation with one of the technicians led to the same conclusion.

The problem has actually been going on for longer than this recent escalation, I think it was about a year ago another tech replaced some internal cables and the router, but also added an equaliser and powered splitter to compensate for the poor drop cable. This did appear to help to some degree but I would still get bursts of packet loss, and I'd nearly always see one or two upstream channels dropped to 32QAM. It's just escalated to the point of being hard to ignore again now with significant drops every few days meaning even web pages struggle to load or time out.

Updated BQM attached. Oh and I'm just providing BQM as a visual representation of the problem, along with the T3 spam in my earlier post. The problem is perfectly evident in normal use in case anyone is suspecting BQM is at fault and I'm chasing a non-existent problem!

7abb9c1123f4b2480f5e921da55e3c7bbd6368ab-16-07-2023

watercooled
Superfast

Well that turned out to be helpful... not.

Got a generic response from the complaints representative who either didn't read the complaint or wasn't interested. Claimed no area faults, and went on about stuff like viruses, processing power, etc. How utterly unhelpful.

17/07/2023 17:23:25criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 09:35:7noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-bbt062+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 09:35:7ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:29:26criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:29:26criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:28:46criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:28:46criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:22:47criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:22:46criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:22:27criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:22:26criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:22:7criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:22:6criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:21:47criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:21:46criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:07:8criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:07:8criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:06:8criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:06:8criticalUnicast Ranging Received Abort Response - initializing MAC;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/07/2023 02:05:28criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Edit: OK so I've been on to tech support again after giving up with the webchat robot then fighting with the frustrating automated call system cutting me off after telling me to reboot the router 😠. Guy was very pleasant, and has now escalated it to networks to investigate, and said he will call me back to follow up later in the week. Fingers crossed!

Hi @watercooled,

Thank you for expanding. I'm very sorry to hear that these issues are unfortunately ongoing for you.

I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments. Please respond to this when you can and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi @watercooled,

Thank you for getting back to me via private message so that I could take a closer look over things for you.

As we discussed there, it appears that there's a known fault in the area we're working on with a current estimated fix date/time of approximately 10am on Wednesday 26th July. If the issues persist beyond this time, please do let us know and we can take another look over things for you.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

watercooled
Superfast

Just a quick update. Something does seem to have changed around that date. I'm still logging the odd T3 but I've not yet noticed any negative impact on service from these. And nothing like the connection killing floods I was having previously. BQM has shown much the same story.

Interesting, it also seems that all five upstream channels are holding 64QAM solidly now - even before the problem got really bad I'd normally see one or two channels dropped to 32QAM when I checked the modem stats, especially the lowest frequency channels. Fingers crossed that's an end of it now.

It would be interesting to know what changed!

Thanks.

watercooled
Superfast

Well, maybe I spoke too soon! Had another small drop this evening, but I can see there is some work planned so hopefully it's still a work-in-progress. It's better than it was though.

Hi watercooled,

Thanks for posting, and sorry to hear you've been having some connection issues again. 

I've had a look at things from our side, and can see there is a short-term connection issue. Our systems will monitor this over the next 24 hours, once we’ve completed our checks, we’ll send you a text update.

If everything is back to normal we’ll let you know, but if we find there is still an issue we’ll arrange a service visit by one of our technicians to run additional checks.

Alex_Rm