cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying long delay

Smelty
Tuning in

Keeping it short

been passed from pillar to post on every phone call telling me they cannot provide a date to come out to dig down to install the cabling that enables us to have gigabit fibre in the house. 
first got told news a wayleave needs to be filled out and sent back from neighbours, cool, signed by all the relevant people. 
then getting told on Monday 19th that the work would be completed thurs 12th oct. 
did it happen? 
No

rang up Friday 13th, told me it would be today. 
did that happen? 
No of course not, Virgin Media sure do like to lie about installing equipment. 
Currently without any Wi-Fi but a stupid dongle from o2 that barely gives us any internet to stream anything to the tv. 

reading some other threads and this seems to take months! My husband is an avid gamer who is currently so frustrated we don’t have internet To be able to play his games on pc or even go on the Xbox as the updates are bigger than the gigabytes we’re allowed.  
How do I get this sorted and have the internet we need? 
we’re already in contract with VM or we would’ve been looking at moving and honestly nowhere else is as cheap as we’ve managed to find it for our area. Just so angry that this is happening as half our world now revolves around connection since we’re also without the TV box 

17 REPLIES 17

TableTop
Up to speed

You are not actually ‘in contract’ in any way until such time as you are connected up and it is working, and even then you have a statutory right to cancel without any penalty within 14 days of it going live anyway; so there is certainly nothing stopping you from looking at other companies.

The installations are all carried out by external contractors, not by VM themselves, and if ‘Wayleaves’ are involved, this smacks of a less than straightforward setup, and said contractors are much more likely to kick these into the long grass in favour of easier jobs.From your perspective though, VM simply aren’t aware of this, so when you call for a progress report, all they can say is what is presented on the screen in front of them, which may well bear little resemblance as to what their contractors are planning.

Not that any of this really helps you, but does give a sort of ‘explanation’, if you browse this section of the forum, you will find that your case is by no means unique - it is, what it is! But what you certainly can do is at least investigate alternative suppliers, a slower/ more expensive connection is possibly better than a faster/cheaper but non-existent one.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Smelty,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your installation at the moment and sorry for the delays that you and your husband are experiencing at the moment, this is far from the journey we would expect any of our customers to experience. Have you been given an install date for your services to be installed as what you have described sounds like the exterior work needs to be completed first, this can take place up to 24 hours before the internal part of your install is completed. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Steven_L wrote:

Hey Smelty,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your installation at the moment and sorry for the delays that you and your husband are experiencing at the moment, this is far from the journey we would expect any of our customers to experience. Have you been given an install date for your services to be installed as what you have described sounds like the exterior work needs to be completed first, this can take place up to 24 hours before the internal part of your install is completed. 

Kind Regards,

Steven_L

love it - far from the journey - forgetting the stupidity of the comment - the journey - as you describe it is typical of the chaos that is VM installs

its typical of the journey

as to an install date - thats no more than a wet finger in the air as you know Steven - its as true as the 12th of never - in fact that might come first

Tony.
Sacked VIP

I’ve been given 7 different dates, so far. 
everyone I speak to on the phone has a different answer for me. I’ve had the phone put down on me 5 times, you’re expecting me to pay £113 for a service I cannot access (cause apparently Netflix is £113 for the month) 

I then received an email 2 days ago saying all the way leaves haven’t been signed when all my neighbours have shown me they have the day after they did them. It’s beyond a joke now. 
feel like I’m being shafted since you’re the only ones round me that would give me gigabit internet 

Hi @Smelty 

We appreciate your frustrating, unfortunately delays can happen due to the way we provide our network. There might be additional permissions needed to complete the work, such as from the council or other privately owned land that we have yet to receive. 

We do try to give a time/date for external work to take place, but sometime these can change and be rescheduled, which would be the reason you have had multiple dates advised. I can assure you, teams will already be working hard to complete the necessary works to allow the install to go ahead  and they should keep you up to date with what's happening throughout the install. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Had an engineer booked for yesterday 1-6pm. Got a phone call at 5:40pm saying it’s being put on hold yet again. And saying I’ll receive a call from a different department, yet couldn’t transfer me anywhere. Absolutely ridiculous. I have fully had enough now your customer service is very disappointing and the call handlers are very disrespectful apart from the very very few. Diabolical. Working in customer service myself, it doesn’t take much to maybe just explain things a little further so that maybe I’d be more understanding but the fact you literally don’t do or say anything useful is astounding and still expecting me to pay for a service I don’t even have is truly shocking 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You won't be paying yet, at least not in money. That doesn't happen until you are finally connected.

But everything else is typical of a new installation. Be assured that you are not being singled out for poor treatment, this is just the way Virginmedia treats its customers. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

They’ve told me to pay if they won’t install anything as I’ve been connected for 10 days to which I haven’t they’re going off the installation date!! 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Then something has gone seriously wrong, if they think you have been connected. This is the time for one of those helpful staff members to 'reach out' and help you. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.