Menu
SignUpLimbo
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Already feels like this will be an ordeal

I just purchased a new home and need high speed internet to work from home effectively.  BT Cabinet is a good distance off and will give me at max 30Mb, so I check Virgin and ding - it can be done.  200Mb.  Happy days. 

I'm organising things at the new house and see a Virgin van pull up outside.  "Great"  I think, I can see if I can cheekily ask this guy a few questions about lead time and the nature of external works.  Turns out he is literally there to visit me as I'm on an 'interested' list.  He offers a deal marginally better than what I saw online for 200Mb broadband so I sign up, am promised email confirmation and an install date of 22nd May.

When I get no email confirmation I actually start wondering if I've fallen for a very sophisticated confidence scam, and I make my first call to the call centre.  Three minutes of button pressing before I can even join the relevant queue.  I have no password as it's the first call, but we use some other verification (including email address) and eventually we determine that I HAVE made an order and that an email confirmation and welcome blurb will be issued.  Nothing comes.

I make another call to chase a written confirmation and offer some guidance on the pre-install work, specifically that the cable can be laid in a certain place to gain access to an existing grommit and hole used to get Sky cables into property.  On a later visit to my new property I see some stuff scrawled on the pavement outside my boundary so assume things are ongoing/done/whatever.

Fast forward to today, by which point I had assumed I should have received some kind of reminder or timeslot regarding the engineer visit tomorrow.  I get on a web chat and am told that my order is 'on hold' because of some kind of 'construction' issue and that the wait time would be 6-8 weeks.  I'm given some numbers to call to follow up.  I call them, first I get through to someone on a generic call handling line, she identifies that the field sales guy put in the WRONG EMAIL ADDRESS so I've been getting no communication, corrected that and then passed me to pre-install team.  They tell me that there's no 6-8 week delay and that engineers are out today (21st) to complete a pre-pull.  I should call later to confirm that's been done and arrange the internal engineer visit.

So I do that, starting at around 8:00 and get through to some guy who rolls out the same 6-8 week 'construction' story.  I have no idea what that means or what the problem is, and no one who works for you that trots that out seems to be able to tell me either.  I've lived in plenty of places where Virgin have rolled in and ripped the whole place up for weeks.. what are these engineers doing if further work is then required?  Anyway, 6-8 weeks wait time (which already sounds like it's probably a lie) is not going to fly so I tell him unless he can expedite that I will need to cancel.

"Well that's your decision to make sir, I transfer you right now to pre-install cancellations"

He did indeed transfer me, into a number that was already closed, and then when I called back the whole call centre was closed.  How's those KPI's looking mate?

I've contacted the field sales guy that originally sold me the package to give him the chance to sort something out before I get chance to cancel in the morning, but.. wow.  So far, this has been the worst customer experience of my life so far.  I've still had no email contact of any kind from Virgin, and have no way to access any information prior to actually having an account (which I don't REALLY know if I have or not) except to call the call centre, which seems designed to make you give up.

Virgin, if you've sold too many packages and won't connect ones that require an iota of effort, have the good grace to communicate that to your potential customers.  Can someone contact me to explain what the problem is at the property and an actual timeframe to have this resolved?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Already feels like this will be an ordeal

A VM person will respond in a day or two.

In the meantime......

You say its a "new home". Do you mean its a newly built house/flat or just a new home to yourself.

If the former, has the house already been cabled up by the builders and you are just awaiting a VM connection - and are any near neighbours already connected?

If the latter, have you tried ordering via the website and used the postcode checker for the available services

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
SignUpLimbo
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi John,

Its a new home to us.. built ~2003.  The postcode checker said we could get M500 and still does today.  Mr Field Sales did come back to me as promised and said he'd checked the system, apparently planning permission required to dig up a pavement.  

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Oh dear...

They have to inform and get permission from your local council for that. How quickly does your local authority move on those requests ! After that VM have to contact and schedule a 3d party contractor to undertake the digging work. they then have to schedule the "cable pull" team. After that they schedule the installation team.

You will immediately recognise and appreciate the issues here !

It can take a few weeks to a few months to get this put together (Council dependant) and with several parties involved each relying on being informed by the others then communication between VM and yourself on progress will be at best ..."sketchy".

I usually just say that when "digging" is required to just accept that it will just happen when it happens - after all VM do want as many new customers as possible. And in the meantime dont cancel - if getting connected quickly is important enough - just set up another account with another supplier - OpenReach or a 4G/5G BB SIM deal perhaps - on a monthly contract?

On the day that VM is finally installed and up and activated you do have 14 days"cooling off" period from then in which to decide whether to keep it and cancel the other contract - or you can cancel the VM contract for free - i.e. with no financial costs to yourself. Or keep both !

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi @SignUpLimbo,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

We truly apologise for the experience you have had so far regarding getting your services installed. We can understand the frustration this all may have caused. 

I have been able to access your account using your forum details and I can see the installation is delayed due to construction work and it is expected be resolved within next 6 to 8 weeks. As mentioned by @jbrennand  our teams are currently working with the relevant teams to process the install.

We will aim to resolve this as soon as possible.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
SignUpLimbo
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both for your replies,

I appreciate that there's a lot of work to do to make this happen.. not much more to say on that I guess other than to question why my property is flagged as being available if it isn't really.  I know I mentioned it before, but I have lived on streets where VM contractors have torn everything in sight up for months.. am I to understand that this is done and then more work needs to be done afterward anyway per-property?  Just seems really inefficient, and surely there's a way for these contractors to feed back which properties require extra work?

The main concern I still have is the total lack of communication on anything, not just the length and nature of the delay.  To this date, I still have had no written or email communication from VM stating that I even have an order.  Not a peep.  Is this normal?  I wouldn't mind AS much if your call centre experience was anything better than dismal.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response @SignUpLimbo.

We can understand the frustration caused by this.

Your property is capable of getting services however construction work is required.

Due to the nature of the work and parties involved, we are unable to provide further timescales in regards to this. Our team will aim to get back to you as soon as possible with a prepull appointment and an installation appointment. 

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos