forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
Ellix2
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Alarm phoneline for internet?

Hi all,

I am moving to a house soon that already has internet with a different provider. The person I am moving in with does not want to get rid of their internet, neither do I (their internet is extremely slow and unusable for what we need). They have a unused phoneline that was used for an alarm system a few years ago. Are we able to repurpose this phoneline to bring Virgin internet with us?

I tried asking Virgin about it but they poor chap didn't really seem to understand what I was saying.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Alarm phoneline for internet?

Virgin use their own line which is entirely different to other providers, so they will need to put in a new one for you.

It will not disturb the existing one (if they are careful where they are digging!)

Ellix2
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

OH Fab!

Thank you so much! So when the engineer comes they will just install the cable needed?

Is it the same for Virgin TV and Sky TV? Can they keep their Sky TV and we have Virgin TV run in on the separate cable?

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

There are two steps to installation. A contractor will come to install the cable from the road to the wall of the house. When that is done an engineer will come to install the internal parts. The TV signal comes out of a box which you can connect to the TV without disturbing the Sky.  If it's the same TV you can switch between the two sets of programmes using the TV's HDMI selector (if it's a modern TV).

0 Kudos