Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

After repeated hard resets hub 3 always rejects factory password as incorrect

I have upto 200Mbps but never get more than 60Mbps speedtest.net download even on a wired ethernet connection with only a Windows 10 laptop on the system for a year now. In frustration I bought a new Netgear Nethawk router and resolved to use the Hub 3 in modem mode to see if there was any improvement.

Using a wired connection direct to the Hub 3 I logged in to 192.168.0.1 and selected modem mode, saved and repowered the Hub. I then tried to login to the hub at 192.168.100.1 to verify the change. The attempted connection to this IP address timed out. I attempted connection to 192.168.0.1 but this timed out too. I changed the wired connection to use a brand new CAT 7 cable, repowered both the router and my laptop but I still couldn't access the Hub 3 at either IP address. I then reset my laptop networking using the Windows 10 option After another cold boot of both Hub and laptop I still could not login to the Hub. At this point I should say that I was still able to access the Internet using the wired connection.

I then went into a loop of hard resetting the Hub back to factory settings, invoking 192.168.0.1, selecting English at the resulting webpage and then entering the factory default password found on the label under the Hub, and also present on the little cardboard tab that slides out from the receptacle at the bottom of the hub. These were the same alphanumerics and had definitely worked in the past.  The response to the default password being input was always that the password was incorrect. I went through the cycle at least a dozen times then went to bed and tried again this morning - still to no avail.

I have searched the forum for a fix and found that this problem has happened to many others, and the eventual suggestion is that the Hub needs replacing - possibly due to corruption of the flash memory settings.

Rather than phoning 150 and being asked to do the same testing all over again I would like to ask a moderator to help me along with replacing the Hub 3, especially as I have experienced such low download speeds over a whole year. Upload speeds were always on the nail, download speeds were less than 1/3 the expected average although the Hub settings seemed to be correct when checked.

Thank you for your patience in reading this. I have tried to be explicit and detailed to avoid suggestions I have already implemented.

I am now out of contract with Virgin Media and not feeling inclined to renew or upgrade an "Up to 200Mbps" that has been way below expectation.

Thanks

David Gray

[Removed]

01 December 2019

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: After repeated hard resets hub 3 always rejects factory password as incorrect

Sounds like you need a replacement hub (a lot of these "password not recognised of late - wonder if this is "just" a bad batch, or a system wide firmware update has gone horribly wrong?), but the low speeds are more likely due to noise or power level problems, so even a replacement hub and your own router probably won't solve that.  If you can go into "check router status" from the home page of the hub, and post the Donwstream & upstream tabs somebody can take a look.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: After repeated hard resets hub 3 always rejects factory password as incorrect

afaik the hub3 password is not on the pullout card - on there is the ssid and wifi password - you are correct that the password is on the base of the hub but so is the wifi password so are you using that

you mention an alpha numeric password - thats usually the wifi password - the default hub password is usually an 8 digit number

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you to Tony and Anduser for your replies.

I have been able to move on a bit.

Your posts helped me realise that the Wi-fi password and settings password are not the same by default. I had set them the same a long time ago, and they became different again after a hard reset of the Hub 3.0.

I was able to login to 192 168.0.1 and enter the settings password. While there I noticed that if I tried to change the wireless passwords for 2.4GHz and 5GHz from the default ANY new password was rejected, including the original default passwords! I had to log out and then log back in again to get back to the starting situation - the original default wi-fi- passwords.. I know it didn't use to be this way because before the recent hard reset I had changed them! I'm not pursuing this here because the whole point on setting up modem mode is to get away from using Virgin's Wi-Fi!

I do't expect any download speed improvemets from using the Hub 3.0 as a modem. I have quite a lot of devices like Sonos and Amazon Echo etc and I wanted to upgrade my LAN to a more robust Wi-Fi capable of supporting more devices from hereon.

Anyway, I selected modem mode and worked through the process. The eventual purple light on the Hub is more of a pink to my eyes. I now have a single Windows 10 laptop connected to my Nighawk via Cat 7 ethermet cable.. I can access my LAN wi-fi through my Nighthawk and thence Hub 3.0-modem and have normal internet acceswith either the ethernet connection or the LAN Wi-fi. For simplicity I have disabled my Wi-Fi connection.

My next step is to try to resolve my poor speed problems and for that I need to get the logs from the Hub3-modem.

As expected 1192.168.0.1 is no longer the entry IP address.

When I enter 192.168.100.1 using any of 4 different browsers on my laptop the connection attempt times out with the message

"This site can’t be reached

http://192.168.100.1/ is unreachable."

but otherwise I can access the whole internet as well as my Nighthawk settings page at 192.168.1.1.

I have gone through the routine of power downs and restarts several times over, and I have also done the Windows 10 Network reset option.

The Windows 10 network diagnostic tells me that the my broadband router is having connectivity issues but I can still access the internet just not the Virgin Hub 3.0 in modem mode.!

If I can't access the modem mode I can't see the logs so I cannot troubleshoot the historical low download speed problem.

It seems if I want to access the logs I have to do a hard reset of the Hub 3.0 back to Router mode which I don't want to do.

Has anyone else met and conquered the problem of getting to the Virgin Hubs settings while in modem mode?

For clarification: I am not using a VPN. I have tried to login to the modem at 192.168.100.1 with my Kaspersky Internet Security temporarily disabled. I have run out of ideas.

Thanks for any help,

David

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you can't change the SSID passwords in router mode, and you can't access the hub interface in modem mode, there's something wrong with the hub.  I hazard a guess that if it works with the operating firmware on an EPROM chip, potentially the EPROM memory is bad, so reflashing the original settings restores some functionality, but there's always some part of the firmware that's going to be broken?  As you've tried the pinhole reset and that hasn't restored it to full function, then I'm guessing that the only solution is a replacement hub.  You could phone in and try and get the offshore call centre to properly understand that you've made all reasonable efforts and send out a replacement, but my preference would be to hold on in here until the forum staff pick this up, and they will be able to sort it out.

Incidentally, don't get your hopes up for a Hub 4, VM will be working their way through a huge warehouse full of Hub 3s, and there's no reason to expect the Hub 4 to offer anything better in terms of user functionality.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the feedback.
Something does seem wrong although I am not totally confident I am doing things correctly..

I still can't access the Hub in modem mode at 192.168.100.1.

I started over again. I reset back to Router mode.
Ar least, for the moment, I can access the internet via direct ethernet connection or wireless connection in Router mode.

(My bad though: I did find I could change the Hub 3 router mode Wi-Fi passwords if I put in enough characters. The security indicator jumps up from insufficient to an acceptable level as soon as the input string is long enough.)

I pulled up the logs which don't mean much to me at the moment. They should support an up to 200Mbps internet connection. I'd like to paste up the logs, but how do you guys paste the tables into a message without losing the formating?

I am not thinking in terms of getting a  Hub 4.0 as a replacent. From what I've seen reported the Hub 4.0 has plenty of problems to be sorted out yet. I'd rather stay away from the bleeding edge . While I would like to get an upgraded package I want to get what I think I am paying for at the moment before I enter another minimum contract period.

Before I relocated from central Cheltenham I was getting 200MBps when I did a speedtest.net, but since moving out to a less central location I am lucky to get 60-70Mbps peak in a test. That original hub failed and was replaced just before my relocation last year.  The technician assured me that the new hub was giving me 200Mbps but being preoccupied with my move I didn't have time to check it out. I know that since I relocated speedtest results have been very disappointing. I am puzzled as to the possible cause and have half assumed it might be my ageing laptop. As I now have a new laptop I am in a better position to resolve the issue.

I guess I need to resolve my Hub Router/Modem issues before I can move on to sorting out connection speed problems.

As I do generally do have problems making myself understood with technical issues with overseas located support personnel and battling through the lines of defence to get to someone who can actually help  I am hoping a Virgin tech will pick up on this report and get in touch to sort out replacing the Hub if that is necessary, or otherwise explain why I can't access it in modem mode...

I don't know why this case has been marked solved because it isn't. Is that an automatic thing just because you mark a reply as helpful?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

to your last point - i believe so - you can afaik remove the helpful flag

to the problems in modem mode - there are other posts detailing the problem so will flag the thread for VM

and finally [well maybe] just cut and paste the levels and network log - dont worry if they dont format people will be able to read them

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I really don't know what I did differently but starting from scratch

1. .I hard reset the HUB 3.0 and my Nighthawk R8000
  2. I set up the Hub 3.0 in router mode and set new wireless passwords.
  3. I connected the Hub ethernet port #1 to the Internet port on my Nighthawk R8000 and then an ethernet port on the R8000 to the ethernet port on my laptop
  4. I connected my laptop browser to www.routerlogin.net and set up the Nighthawk R8000 with a new, different wireless network name and password and logged out.
  5. I logged in to the wireless network on the R8000 and checked I could access the internet. I then removed the linking ethernet caable from the laptop to the RS8000. I checked again that I still had internet access via the R8000 wireless.
  6. I typed 192.168.0.1 into my browser and selected to change to modem mode.
  7. After a couple of minutes I typed 192.168.100.1 into my laptop browser - and this time the HUB 3.0 login screen came up!  (I immediately logged in and backed up the settings)i before logging out

I now appear to have a functioning modem mode Hub 3.0 with wireless and ethernet connection from my laptop via the R8000 router.

I can also get the logs from the "check router status" option on the Hub 3.0 login screen so I can now start to sort out the low connection speeds. I will use my new laptop which as yet is completely uncluttered with any software that might slow things down. I will build up a library of netspeed tests using a single ethernet connection to the RS8000 and with all other LAN devices disconnected.

I still would like to post my logs to check settings and errors, so I would appreciate if someone could advise how to paste the logs into a forum post without losing the table formatting.

Thank you to Andruser for your help.

David

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you copy/paste into the box it should post - it should just strip out the MAC data - you may have to hit the post button 2 or 3 times and ignore any messages.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos