cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice to anyone thinking about joining VM

TheRustyNomad
Joining in

Hi,

I thought I would just give some advice to anyone who is thinking of joining Virgin Media...

I recently became aware that VM had been made live on my estate following a conversation that I had with a sales representative of VM who knocked on my door a couple of weeks ago. As someone who has suffered intolerable speeds from Sky's FTTC (20 Mbps on average) for the best part of 8 years with no other alternative, I am sure you can understand how delighted I was.

Following my conversation with the sales representative, I informed him that I had to go away and find out how much notice I had to give Sky and that I would call him the next day. Fortunately, because they could not give me my minimum guaranteed speed, they let me leave with 14 days' notice without penalty.

I was going to simply go ahead with placing my order online that same day, however, I thought I would give the sales representative a courtesy call knowing that he would potentially make a commission from my order. He was very appreciative of this but then proceeded to tell me that because I was going through him he would automatically apply £35 credit to my next bill, explaining that my first bill would consist of 2 x £26.50 (£53) and £35 credit, making my first bill £18.

Lo and behold I received my first bill today for £53 and no credit attached to my account. I immediately phoned VM to query this with them and spoke to quite frankly one of the rudest people I have encountered. They told me that the credit had been applied to my account, but this was to cover the installation cost and that my bill should have been £88 - even though installation is free on their website! I tried to calmly explain that this contradicted what I had been told, but she kept telling me to be quiet and that I wasn't listening to her - In the end I hung up.

I phoned back again immediately and spoke to someone else who was slightly more helpful and has now raised a case for this and they are hopefully going to be able to access a recording of the conversation, although I won't get my hopes up.

I have 7 days left of my cooling-off period and now I am wondering whether to go back to Sky...

Anyway, the moral of the story - never trust a salesman 🙃

1 REPLY 1

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @TheRustyNomad 

Welcome to the community forums 

Sorry to hear of your poor new customer journey you've had with us regarding your first bill and promised credit. I can only apologies for any confusion or inconvenience caused by this. Have you been in contact with the salesman again to confirm that the credit was a one off or if it was indeed intended to waiver an install/activation fee?

I can see on the systems at our side that the team are also looking into this for you. Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley