cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please on VM cable new installation

Wedgewood
Tuning in

Advice please.  I have signed up with VM and are looking forward to be connected in a few days time. The first team who came yesterday to pull the VM cable out from the curb (located on the right side of the front of the house) told me that I need to have the VM garden team to bury the cable and lift the pavement. They also mentioned that the cable must be put into a conduit and be buried, not exposed to elements. Which means it cannot be clipped alongside the house to the box outside the study.  The current wifi router (not VM) is located in my study which is located at the back of the house on the left side.

To bury the VM cable from the front of the house would cause a lot of upheaval as they have to lift the pavement on the drive to the front of the garage. It has a concrete base. I am very concerned about the disturbance & the appearance to the pavement and whether they can put it back as before without damaging.  Other alternative is to bury the cable conduit alongside the right hand part of the house via a garden slab then turn right alongside the back flower bed then turn right again to reach the study. But this mean it will be 3 times longer conduit/cable to be buried in the back garden. 

Can anyone advise if some part of the VM cable can be clipped onto the barge board under roof tiles or alongside the bricks like the Sky cable? Or must all part of the VM cable be put into the green conduit and buried?  Thank you. 

In view of the length from the 

n they have to dig from the front garden along side the house to the 

12 REPLIES 12

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just to be clear, VM do not arrange for your existing broadband to be cut off. Only the telephone service will be be discontinued, if you have requested a number transfer.

You will have to close the broadband contract yourself.  It's always recommended on here that you keep the old service running until the Virgin service is running satisfactorily, because delays are very frequent. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

But if the current broadband provision is via an OpenReach connection (is it TalkTalk?) then porting the number, will, by necessity, also terminate the BB account.

I always thought though that number ports were done ten days or so after the VM installation was done, hence a temporary number, which would mean that the existing line would have to stay up and running at least that long.

@Wedgewood have you asked for your existing number to be ported to VM? If not then there is no reason for VM to contact your existing provider to arrange anything. If you have arranged for it to be cancelled yourself then I would most strongly suggest that you get in touch with them today and arrange an extension of a month at least.

Oh and I can almost absolutely guarantee you that you won't be up and running tomorrow.........

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@jpeg1 wrote:

Just out of interest, why was my post in this thread yesterday deleted, after being marked as a 'Helpful Answer' ?

Can't say I'm particularly bothered, but it would just be interesting to know.

Let's just say that late last week somebody from VM 'fessed up to making some changes to Khoros that unintentionally resulted in a few posts being lost.