Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Advice on permanent cable connection

When we moved into our bungalow we knew that we were carrying out a major alteration and extension and so when the Virgin Engineer came he merely ran a cable into the loft with the connection shown on the below photo and then a white cable to the router. 

We need now to do the following -

a)Run a cable to a permanent point in the Dining Room that can be used to then run to the router/hub.

b)Run a Cat5/6 cable from the router into a wall socket to send the wired signal via new Cat 5 cable to a socket in the lounge where we can plug the digibox into.

As the router/hub is currently located in a room we are using as a temporary lounge I would also like to keep the current cable live to this as well for a period of time.

Not sure what gear I need to get this sorted or how I get further technical advice???

Many thanks in anticipation.Current connector??Current connector??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Advice on permanent cable connection

well for for a) would need to get virginmedia out to install the new cabling/split depending on cable run, this has a standard call out fee of £99, since if you DIY and causes a signal unbalance, services will be turned off and possible billed for cost of repair.

b) to get route the internet traffic via electrical cabling could get a pair of Devolo 1200+ Powerline Adapter.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to Pauls advice...

VM are not doing non-urgent moves like yours just at the moment - but always worth a call to check if yours might be "urgent" 🙂

Also don't get Cat5 cable (ever) 5e would be "ok" - but you should get better spec. Cat6e cable - for better protection from crosstalk and enhanced shielding from interference

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Are you still doing your major alterations? If so, see if you can create a comms cupboard with 13A power sockets for the wall socket, hub and network switch. From the cupboard run the Ethernet cables to all rooms which need them and terminated at RJ45 wall sockets. Plan for the future by installing a pull rope for a coax cable to your lounge in case you subscribe to VM's TV one day. Do not be tempted to reuse the existing coax cable for VM's TV.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos