Menu
ybb3
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Advanced Network Search is invasive and broken - how to disable it?

How do I turn off the stupid 'Advanced Network Search'.

The page tells me where to turn it off, but going there it's already turned off, but it still happens.

Judging from the number of people complaining about this on here for years now this is either a deliberate attempt by Virginmedia to dissuade people from turning it off, or it's a shockingly bad implementation of the feature. Either is pretty dismal.

In any event, I do not want the 'feature', never asked for it and it's very annoying to have it pushed in my face.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Advanced Network Search is invasive and broken - how to disable it?

Hi there @ybb3

Welcome to our Community and thanks so such for your first post to our wall - we are sorry that you're not enjoying the feature; it's certainly not complusory and you're not under any obligation to use it if you don't wish to do so. 

Once it is turned off, there is a small chance that some browsers may still link to the Virgin Media search - this should update quickly though and if you wait a while, the issue should clear itself. You can also try closing the browser and clearing all cache and cookies and reopening it. Rebooting the device can also reset it for you. 

Hope that helps

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ybb3
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Katie,

Thank you for the reply. However, I have already tried all of the things you mention. I have set it to 'off' from several browsers on several machines, some of which had never been used before as they were fresh installs. The page linked from the message I see when a type in a non-existent URL tells me that the feature is off. It has been weeks since I noticed it was on in the first place and nothing has changed in all the time I've been trying to disable it.

However, it is obviously on. This brings me back to the point I was trying to make earlier which is that the feature is badly implemented and obvously has issues. I want to turn it off, I hate it, but there appears to be no way for me to do so.

Not that it's particularly relevant in this thread, but I feel very strongly that this should be an 'opt in' feature, and not an 'opt out' one anyway. It is, as I said before, invasive, somewhat broken as evidenced by my own experiences and does not reflect well on Virgin Media, who should be a neutral provider by default.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @ybb3

Have you turned the feature off from your online account rather than via each individual browser? 

Advanced Network Search

Thanks

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ybb3
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Katie_WT

I have, yes:

ANS.JPG

However, when I access any address that cannot be resolved by DNS I continue to see this:

ANS2.JPG

Clicking on the 'This service is optional and you can switch it off here' link at the top right simply takes me back to the first screen where it tells me it's already off.

It's all rather expasperating.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for confirming @ybb3

There should be no reason the disabling would not work - as mentioned above, if you wait it should clear by itself; the clearing of call cookies and Cache should also resolve the issue for you. 

I have asked the question to the business; however, if it is turned off via your online account there is nothing further we can do as it is turned off. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
ybb3
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

This brings me round to where the thread started, which is that the service is broken in some way.

However, I've sidestepped the problem now. I've reconfigured my network to use Google's Public DNS servers instead of Virgin Media's. This solves the issue cleanly, and as a nice side effect I've noticed a significant improvement in DNS lookup response times.

Virgin Media has been feeling less and less attractive these days in terms of value for money and (lack of) customer support, plus there is more competition offering decent speeds about now so I think it's probably time to start looking to move to an ISP that messes with my zen less!

Thanks for trying.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Katie_WT wrote:

There should be no reason the disabling would not work - as mentioned above, if you wait it should clear by itself; the clearing of call cookies and Cache should also resolve the issue for you. 

I have asked the question to the business; however, if it is turned off via your online account there is nothing further we can do as it is turned off.

you should maybe speak to other members of the "virgin team", as it is often a case that when the user disables it nothing happens, and that it needs to be turned off by you "tech" guys. so there is stuff you can do further.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@ybb3 wrote:

plus there is more competition offering decent speeds about now so I think it's probably time to start looking to move to an ISP that messes with my zen less!

not if you want >300Mbps though.

a few ISPs now offer 150Mbps and 300Mbps via G.Fast, but unless its FTTP then you're still restricted to how far away from the cabinet and/or pole, and generally you need to be within 500M of the cabinet to achieve G.Fast speeds.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
ybb3
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@spgray wrote:

@ybb3 wrote:

plus there is more competition offering decent speeds about now so I think it's probably time to start looking to move to an ISP that messes with my zen less!

not if you want >300Mbps though.

a few ISPs now offer 150Mbps and 300Mbps via G.Fast, but unless its FTTP then you're still restricted to how far away from the cabinet and/or pole, and generally you need to be within 500M of the cabinet to achieve G.Fast speeds.

I live about 20 metres away from the cabinet, and I really don't need >300Mbps. I think few people really do actually, more it's a case of the market trying (with some success) to convince people they do. I was happy with 60Mbps 12 years ago when I joined VM and it's now at 200Mbps but my Wi-Fi card maxes out at about 100Mbps on my work laptop and that's always been more than enough.

Over a certain point, (reliability and support) > (bandwidth) 🙂

0 Kudos