Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Additional modem

Hi folks - I have two broadband cables running into my home, one entering the house upstairs in our loft conversion (2nd floor) and one downstairs on the ground floor. I can just about get wifi in all rooms if I connect the VM hub to either outlet but I was wondering about getting a second modem/router to make use of both cables. Is this type of set up possible or can you only connect one modem (and in particular a VM modem) per house install? The alternative is to run a long ethernet cable across the 2 floors or use a powerline adaptor, but that doesn't make best use of the two cables.

Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Additional modem

HI,

2 modems means two accounts, it can be done. Or you can better distribute the service you currently have. If you dont need two accounts then explore boosters AKA powerline adapters.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jon, does that mean there is no real benefit for having a second cable into our house (they were fitting by the previous owners), except for having two accounts (which I don't believe they had)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Its hard to say without seeing it, there could be two scenarios.

The cables both run from the external brown box - This would mean they had multiple set top boxes in different rooms.

There are two cables coming from the street, into your garden and to two locations - This would could mean one was damaged and not removed and another installed.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

A Virgin technician checked both cables and confirmed that both are working fine. He said that we could use the modem on either - just unplug from one and plug into the other, nothing more needed. So I presume they run from the same box and had two modems/set-top-boxes configured the same?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@paulreb wrote:

A Virgin technician checked both cables and confirmed that both are working fine. He said that we could use the modem on either - just unplug from one and plug into the other, nothing more needed. So I presume they run from the same box and had two modems/set-top-boxes configured the same?

The normal reason for having more than one cable access point in a home is to provide broadband and tv.
Whilst the two cables will come from the same box, as you suggest, this isn't necessary.

The DOCSIS cable system is a shared network that provides exactly the same data to all access points in the locality.
The cable running to your neighbours house is identical to yours and carries exactly the same data.

The total downstream capacity of a V3.0 cable modem segment is about 1.5Gb/s which is shared between many properties in the neighbourhood.

Regarding your issue, there are a number of options as has been suggested.
If it's just about getting better Wi-Fi coverage then it's probably best to ask for ideas in the dedicated 'Networking and WiFI' forum.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Eeeps wrote:

@paulreb wrote:

The normal reason for having more than one cable access point in a home is to provide broadband and tv.
Whilst the two cables will come from the same box, as you suggest, this isn't necessary.

The DOCSIS cable system is a shared network that provides exactly the same data to all access points in the locality.
The cable running to your neighbours house is identical to yours and carries exactly the same data.

The total downstream capacity of a V3.0 cable modem segment is about 1.5Gb/s which is shared between many properties in the neighbourhood.

Regarding your issue, there are a number of options as has been suggested.
If it's just about getting better Wi-Fi coverage then it's probably best to ask for ideas in the dedicated 'Networking and WiFI' forum.

Thanks @Eeeps, so can I attach a modem to each cable, and would they both work? I already have a Home Hub 3 on one of the cables, so I would just need to buy another cable modem (or a set-top-box) to attach to the other cable - would that work?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Technically it would work but you can only have one modem per account.

You can have one modem and multiple TV boxes per account (not sure what the limit is)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you need an Ethernet cable in the loft can you follow the path of the coaxial cable.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos