cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Line in Annexe

souch13
Joining in

Hi, 

We currently have Virgin Media Broadband in our main property. We are building an Annexe on the same land.

We need another line to go to the new annexe with a hub etc. which will likely need the engineer to dig under the driveway.

Do i need to pay the £30 charge for an engineer? is this different from a pre-installation engineer?

As the property will not be ready for a few months more yet, can the equipment be connected but delay the activation date?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You dont need another VM Hub or even a 3d party router.   Run exterior grade Cat6a ethernet cable from a Hub port out to the Annexe (in some ducting)  and put something like this wireless access point on the other end of it - and its job done!

Gives you wifi6 and also ethernet connectivity capability

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Desktop-Access-WAX204/dp/B08MQ5CVQK/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Client62
Hero

How about running Ethernet cables from the main building to the Annex.

It would avoid the cost of a 2nd VM subscription.

Could I have another router on the end of this cable to provide WiFi?

Its not ideal as the property is separate so would need to be run through the floorboards and into the new build, not very convenient.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

I suggest that you hire an expert to get a pastic water pipe underneath the driveway with a moling machine, and install a pull cord inside the pipe which the VM tech will be grateful for.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

You are doing a new build and if it requires connecting to the network then you should really be digging in VM ducting to the boundary. Contact the new sites team for your area if this is going to be operated as a separate address.

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/New-Build-Handbook-...

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The original post is rather ambiguous and so has been answered in two ways so far.

Do you mean an entirely separate Virgin broadband connection, or simply an extension to the existing service? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

The OP wants broadband in his annex which must be done by either moving his hub (so the coax has to extended to the annex) or getting an Ethernet cable from the hub into the annex. He's had suggestions for both options. One thing he hasn't done is said if he still wants WiFi in the house.

--

I am looking at any option really. 

I am living separately from my mum who I look after. If I move to the annexe will I be able to use a router on the end of the ethernet cable from the VM router in the house?

I also would need to drill in the existing house and feed ethernet through to the new property.

The downside would also be that if the router needs resetting, I wouldn't always have access to the original property so a standalone line would be preferable. 

Yes I am looking for a router and WiFi in the annexe

If you prefer to have the hub in the annex then you can consider hiring someone with a moling machine.

Does you mum need WiFi in the house or will you need it when you are there? If so then an Ethernet cable from the hub and terminated at an RJ45 socket (best) should be done whilst you have an electrician onsite. What you then do is connect a wireless access point (for WiFi) to the RJ45 socket, and if you need any other devices you connect a gigabit port network switch similar to the one in my sig to the socket. 

--