cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding phone to BB

freddie11
On our wavelength

I am having my Bt line ported (?) over to VM. I am not in contract with BT. Will I need to tell BT about this when the swap is made.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BrownSauce
On our wavelength

@freddie11 wrote:

I am having my Bt line ported (?) over to VM. I am not in contract with BT. Will I need to tell BT about this when the swap is made.

No, the procedure is for the ‘gaining provider’, ie VM in this case, to do all the work and request the port (yes, you were right, it is called a number port). You can’t do anything and technically neither can BT, all the driving has to come from VM’s side. As long as VM properly request the port and BT don’t mess up, shouldn’t happen, then the number gets moved which automatically cancels your landline contract with BT and, by necessity any broadband provision via it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You are most likely to get a BT-specific answer on the BT forum here

https://community.bt.com/

Client62
Legend

You request VM to port the BT number, the BT number must remain in service for how ever long the process takes.

You should not contact BT  

When VM port the number, BT will automatically cancel the phone service and close the BT account.

Note if the BT line is Phone + Internet, both services will terminate when the number ports to VM.

BrownSauce
On our wavelength

@freddie11 wrote:

No, the procedure is for the ‘gaining provider’, ie VM in this case, to do all the work and request the port (yes, you were right, it is called a number port). You can’t do anything and technically neither can BT, all the driving has to come from VM’s side. As long as VM properly request the port and BT don’t mess up, shouldn’t happen, then the number gets moved which automatically cancels your landline contract with BT and, by necessity any broadband provision via it.

freddie11
On our wavelength

Thank you for your replies, which are all informative and most helpful. Satisfies my mind and answers the question and also the other important one about cancellation.

Hi @freddie11 

Welcome back to the community forums. 

Glad to hear that our helpful community has been able to answer your questions for you. 

Please let us know if you are having any further questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed 🙂

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley