Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Add TV to existing installation

Hi - apologies if this is an obvious question!

Currently have a single cable wall socket in study upstairs at rear of house which connects to Hub. Would like to take TV and have this installed downstairs in living room at front of house. Currently a cable runs along side wall of house to brown box at rear, just outside where the wall socket is on first floor.

a) Does the TV cable come from the road separately, or would a new link be installed from the brown box at the back all the way round to the front?

b) Are VM currently installing extra sockets in the current situation? If so, do I need to make it clear when ordering (/do it over the phone rather than online) that I can’t do a self installation because current wall socket not in correct place?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Add TV to existing installation

Hi

happy to try and assist

A, we would take the feed from the brown box. 

B, If this is your first Virgin TV box and not an additional one then we will still install it. You would need to make it clear that you would need a tech. 

If you private message me some details I can arrange for somebody to contact you tomorrow to discuss? (Obviously if it’s a new box) I would just need a name and contact number  

cheers 

Richard

Here to help! I'm a manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Richard - phoned this morning and all sorted. Hopefully new TV service will provide much needed entertainment in lockdown... 😂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just to make you aware that the V6 box needs to be connected to the Internet hub.

Whilst the V6 does have Wi-Fi connectivity this is not the best way to connect.

How good is your Wi-Fi in the living room from the hub?

Alternatives are running an Ethernet cable (probably the same route as the VM coaxial) or power line adapters.

I believe VM can also provide Wi-Fi boosters but not sure how these work.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Good point, thanks!
Luckily we have Cat6 cabling throughout the house so shouldn't be an issue. I assume it doesn't matter that the Superhub is in modem mode and we have a separate router and wifi system?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like the perfect set-up. No problem with a separate router although it must be a VM internet service (for some reason).

I have two V6 boxes and tried using my Virgin Mobile connected to my router and they worked fine.
I then tried a 3 Mobile and they failed even though both mobiles tethered at 60Mb/s.