Menu
johnedwinmosley
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Activation Issue

I had a new Hub 'installed' by a technician this morning. He came into my house (nose hanging out of mask) and spend 80% of the time talking about a survey he wanted me to fill in so that he could "get his bonus". 

Once he'd set up the box he told me my Internet would be on within the hour but then backtracked and said there was some sort of problem with activation  and that I might not get connected for up to 24 hours. He then showed me some random jargon on his phone "so that I didn't think he was [REMOVED] and promptly left without trying to solve the problem.

Now I don't have any Internet connction whatsoever and have no idea if or when it will connect or if there's anything I need to do to sort it out. 

Please help? 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
SauceBoss
Tuning in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Activation Issue

Same story with myself. 

Issue with VM registering MAC addresses. 

Latest advice from VM - will be resolved within 3 working days. 

Great service. Thumbs up. Start drafting your complaint now.

0 Kudos
johnedwinmosley
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It's astonishing how poor Virgin Media's service is. I actually cannot get my head round how a company can be SO bad at everything and yet still operate.

I'd leave but they have a Broadband monopoly in my area. I actually have no choice and they're banking on it. 

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How would he be able to solve the problem if there is a national activation issue?  He explained the issue and gave an estimated fix time.  As annoying as it is there's nothing else he could have done

0 Kudos
johnedwinmosley
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

He could have given me a proper explanation of what was happening, maybe called someone on my behalf to find out extra information or if he could have let me know exactly what I need to do to monitor the situation rather than a last minute flash of a jargon text and no additional help. I paid £30 extra to have him come down and install the thing so I do expect a quite a bit better than what I got. Additionally, it would have been helpful to mention this problem before my installation date so I could delay the cancellation of my previous service.

Having said all that, this post isn't to call out the engineer for terrible service. It must be awkward and stressful for them having to install these things when the company/technology lets them down. Not his fault really. 

Im posting to try and get some guidance as to what to do next. Do I just wait for (potentially) days with no Internet connection at home, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for it to kick in or can I do anything to speed the process up? I'd also like to get a better understanding of what the actual problem is so that I can at least be sure of a reason as to why they're taking such a long time to resolve it.

I'm lucky enough to not be working from home currently, but plenty of other people are and will desperately need Internet connection to make a living. Virgin Media need to get this issue solved ASAP so that their new customers aren't paying them huge amounts of money for absolutely nothing.

0 Kudos