Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Activate HUB 3 - I would like to, but it seems impossible.

After receiving one's new hub, one is supposed to receive an SMS to reply 'GO' to activate it. 

I didn't,

The book says one can phone an automated phone line to ask for one and one will need one's account number and area code. So, I did. 

Is one asked for one's account number and area code? No one is not, one is asked for three letters of the password one uses when one phones VM. What? I have never phoned VM, to the best of my knowledge and only have one password, so far as I am aware, and that does not work.

So, I wait some time for an adviser who just wants to explain to me that their account system is down. After a lot of arguing and pleading to ask a question, I am told that I would have been asked to specify such a second PWD when I opened the account. I have no recollection of doing so and, although I have every other piece of info relating to the account in a secure note, that note only contains one password, and that is my account password, the one that does not work on the phone.. 

Did I indeed record every other detail in my note, except for this magic password that I have never heard of? Possibly, but more likely it never existed, I suspect.

The booklet cheerfully tells me that it will take ca. one minute to request my activation SMS. Well, no, it doesn't, as many others seem to have found, I see from this forum. After 90 minutes odd now I have got nowhere but gained a headache and quite likely the start of an ulcer, as I loathe damned lines and their dreadful 'music' at the best of time, bu especially when one is just wasting one's time.

It was suggested that I might care to 'phone again later, when their systems are working. Well, no, sit on the 'phone listening to all that garbage for ½ an hour again. Not for several weeks at least.

I am sorely tempted to bin the new hub, VM property, or not, the only thing that stops me is that I don't like waste, except that I don't much like it cluttering my flat up either.

One might have thought that there could be a simple, secure and robust for activating these damn things, but it seems not. It has to be time-wasting, complicated and frustrating, leading to failure and frayed tempers.

I have had two reasons to contact VM since I opened my account whenever that was. The first problem is still open and unresolved after 16 months. Will this activation, take as long? This new hub was supposed to cure the first problem - the chronic failure of VM to provide internet radio reliably, but it hasn't, because I can't connect it (even supposing that it will, and I remain to be convinced), and all it has to date is to create another annoying problem.

VM broadband may well be good overall, connection to uPnP servers apart, but support and service seems very poor.

I am a scientist, have been using computers since 1971 and was an early adopter of just about everything IT, hence I don't or shouldn't need much if any help. I just need things to work. So, gain, why is there not s simple activation process that just works with one having to 'phone 'help' likes and 'hot' lines that just take one round and round in circles getting nowhere? 

Marks out 10? 1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Activate HUB 3 - I would like to, but it seems impossible.

Hi MaryTime, 

Thanks for posting, 

I'm sorry there's been some trouble with activating your new equipment. I've had a look at the account and just need a few more details from you.

I've popped you over a private message for this.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Activate HUB 3 - I would like to, but it seems impossible.

Anyone that posts that they “work IT since the year dot and can do better themselves” gets instantly put on the ignore list in my books.

Get over it - mistakes happen. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos