Menu
KashGo
Settling in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Account Transfer

Hi all, 

I apologise if this is in the wrong section. I am getting very stressed about this. 

I recently set up an account transfer from my mother's name to my own. I checked with virgin media that a like for like change would take place. 

Our previous bill was roughly £26.99 for m100 broadband.

After filling out the account transfer form, I've received a contract for £42 per month. 

I was unhappy with this and spent over 2hours on the phone a few days ago for virgin to tell me that discounts on the old account would not apply to mine despite me being told otherwise before. 

I can't afford this the price and would like to cancel but again, I can't afford the cancellation fee. 

Where should I go from here? 

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Account Transfer

For £26.99 the M100 had a big discount applied.

If you still in the 14 days period I would cancel this ASAP or you stuck for 18month 😞

Personally I would not transfered the account but let the £26.99 contract expire. Later join in your name as the new customer and receive the same promotion.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I don't think you can cancel an account transfer? They'll just cancel the whole package which means you'll get early termination charges. 

But I would most definitely try anyway as soon as possible, but don't go to the normal customer services, try ringing up and going through the "Thinking of leaving" option early in the morning (say, just after 8am) and explain to them that you can't afford the new price and you might get UK staff who might be able to put you back on the original tariff (as least for the remainder of it). 

A lot of mights, but worth a shot IMO 

0 Kudos
KashGo
Settling in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply. I transferred after moving in and taking responsibility for all my mothers finances. 

I asked virgin who confirmed the price would be the same after transferring. They also confirmed this should be the case when I tweeted them yesterday. 

I will cancel today. Seeing as my mother had another 5months left on her contract, I imagine we'll have to pay the remainder despite cancelling. 

A lose lose situation. 

0 Kudos
KashGo
Settling in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I received the new £42 that I haven't signed yet. I'll try calling again. 

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you cancelled the service now you will be charged approx 5 months of service. You better off use the 5 months service and let the contract expire unless you plan to have no internet in the house.

Just dont forget to call Virgin 30 days before the contract ends otherwise you be stuck for extra month.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos
KashGo
Settling in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I'm hoping they let me revert back to the previous name which I doubt they will. In that case I would have 5months remaining.

0 Kudos
KashGo
Settling in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both for your help. 

I managed to get through to cancellations and the UK call centre reduced my contract price down to £27.

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos