Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Access to broadband cable cabinet

I've been having regular speed issues in the form of getting a consistent 10mbps when I should be getting 100mbps, and having regular complete dropouts of my internet.

I've already had engineers swap out hub, internal connection box, etc, and it was determined that the issue lies with the building's cable cabinet. However, that cabinet is on a roof with no way for me to access it from the inside, due to recent construction work.
I have another engineer visit scheduled for next week, however I have no way to contact them to tell them that the cabinet is inaccessible, or to ask how to proceed from here. So I figured my best bet is to ask here.

tl;dr Broadband connection is unreliable due to issues with the cable cabinet. The cable cabinet is on a roof (~3 stories up) with seemingly no way to access it through the building. I've got an engineer visit scheduled, but I'd like to figure out what to do next before they arrive and immediately leave again because they can't get to the cabinet.

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Access to broadband cable cabinet

Have you asked the building manager/landlord to provide access to the cabinet?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have - it appears to only be accessible through a flat which appears to be empty currently, and the owner can't be reached. So I haven't found anyone who would be able to provide access yet 😕

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If the Virgin installer won't have access to the didtibution cabinet then the only alternative would be a separate acess to your flat through the outside wall. But they are not able to work at height, so if you are above the first floor that may not be possible.  

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

they will also need the landlords permission if its a rented flat

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I guess what I was wondering was whether there was any way for the engineer to access the cabinet on the roof without requiring access through the building, but sounds like since it's on the roof that's not happening. I'll have to try and get access through the building then..

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

the landlord will be able to access it. Even if the flat its accessed though is empty

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The landlord or his site agent would have a right of access to the building services through the flat, even if occupied. With notice, of course.

Since it is empty there will be no need for notice. 

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

So, turns out that someone does live in the flat, but they were able to confirm that there's no access to the cabinet through the flat. Which means that the only way to get there would be with a very long ladder. So far I've got the feeling that they don't do access at height, but otherwise that cabinet is completely inaccessible. So what should I do?

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The only alternative then is to run a cable up the outside and through the wall into your flat.  How high is your flat, and could you get permission from the landlord?

0 Kudos