cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abuse from call centre over wifi pods

paul1973
On our wavelength

I rejoined virgin media last week on the 1gb broadband package last week.

I made sure that when I took out the package there was the wifi guarantee as I know I have a number of "blackspots" in my house.

Anyway Ive done the tests on the connect app and it shows 3 places where the wifi speed is poor. I tried to order wifi pods on the app but im not getting that option.

Following advice on here I contacted customer services yesterday spoke to a nice lady who said she would put a manual order in for one pod, then if I needed another to call back and one would be sent out.

When I checked my account this morning before work it looks like the order had not gone through.

Thinking it would be a simple 2 minute phone call I phoned up customer services at 8.15.

I got through to a man who said he could see that the order had been placed but hadn't gone through, and he needed to check with his manager why.

He put me on hold for 15 minutes then came back to me saying that he was having some problems and I needed to stay on hold.

I stayed on hold for another 20 minutes and he came back to me saying my package wasn't a "volt" bundle so I wasnt entitled to pods. My options were to upgrade the package to "volt" or pay extra for the pods.

I tried to explain in the nicest way being really polite that the 1gb broadband package had wifi max on it so I should be entitled to get upto 3 pods (by this time I was late to go to work!)

He was standing firm saying he had tried and spoken to his manager and there was nothing he could do unless I paid or upgraded to Volt.

I told him that I had only just joined and I didnt want to "upgrade" already, Wifi is really important to me for work so because ive had the package less than a week I would need to call back to discuss cancellation.

He said "thats fine". I thanked him for his time.

I believe that he believed he had terminated the call, however I could still hear him.

He spoke to his colleague laughing the exact words were "this [MOD EDIT: Language] just been on the phone threatening to cancel his package because he cant get wifi. Hes on the top [MOD EDIT: Language] package so he can afford the upgrade"  There was nothing that I could do. Its only an extra 20 quid to sort it out

I heard his female colleague say she helped some one out because they were polite to her (now please dont think that I was not polite to this man because I was very polite to him during the little time I spoke to him on the 40 minute call)

The man I was speaking to then said, its when they want something for nothing. I had a customer tell me his dog died so I would give him something the [MOD EDIT: Language].

I was trying to tell him that I could still hear him but he had obviously taken his headset off.

Given I was late for work I hung up.

So not only do I not have wifi max guarantee I dont get pods but Im a[MOD EDIT: Language] according to the call center.

Great first week back on Virgin!

6 REPLIES 6

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi paul1973,

Thanks for posting and very sorry to hear of the experience you've had.

so I can get a few more details from you, and take a closer look at the pods for you I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd hazard a guess that the post is a little bit more than just about a pod.

I suggest demanding a copy of the call recording via https://www.virginmedia.com/help/dsar-faq

Then raising a formal complaint about your treatment via https://www.virginmedia.com/help/complaints with a view to escalating to Ombudsman Services. 

I would demand generous compensation.

Also highlight your experience to Ofcom via https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complaints/complain-about-phones-or-internet-services

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Bear in mind also that the WiFi Max service is not wonderful as it only offers 20Mbps speeds in each room.

You could get better results with your own mesh system, which unlike the VM pods will remain your own property if you later decide to change your ISP. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

spell
Knows their stuff

It's pretty certain you will be told that there is no recording of the call - that's if they even address the issue - another aspect to the need to record your own calls to this company

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello paul1973,

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear about the call you had. This is not good at all and we do need to get this raised internally. 

We can check as well to see if the call was recorded and arrange for this to be sent to you.
I'd really like to take a look into this for you and get a complaint raised and make sure you get the free pods.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

paul1973
On our wavelength

Hi, 

After all this I did manage to get the pod sent to me as I have wifi max on my package.

I did get a phone call from Virgin media complaints team who said that there would be an internal investigation about the call.

It want a great experience, but hopefully it is resolved as much as it can be!

Thanks for all the replies