Menu
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ANother New Build estate missed out.

I'm asking for my sister - she's just moved into a new estate which is about 5 years old - Virgin media runs along the main road but not into her new estate which has about 40 houses on it - Can someone from VM tell me if it's still the cable my street to write to? And is it somwhere FTTP could be installed? 

Or is BT going to get there first? There is FTTC but its sub 50Mbps speeds - so she is hoping. But came to me because I had your service so Understand it better

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: ANother New Build estate missed out.

BT is already be there as you've said FTTC is there.

as it's a new build it is unlikely virgin will do anything, the builders should have took responsibillity to do it at the time of building.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
wez
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi from experience unless the builder/developer agrees to allow VM to install they can't until the Road is fully adopted by the council. It depends on the developer at the time of building to agree to allow VM on.

Cable my street would be the place to register interest. You could also check with the council to see if they have adopted the roads yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DJ_Shadow1966
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

If you register on https://www.virginmedia.com/postcode-checker VM will send a spotter and then make a decisionif they can provide the service, this may take some time to cable the street depending on the permissions they need to get.

Mike

I dont work for VirginMedia all opinions are my own.
39 years in IT.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i think you're giving the OP a lot of mis-directed optimism there!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I would tend to agree - Thanks for all your answers anyway. I have registered on that site and also e-mailed the council. Yes we can get FTTC but it's dire so for now we just use our mobiles. Maybe 5G would be the answer when it gets here - or even a stand alone 4G on EE

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM has a big schedule of installations planned for the next couple of years, so there are no resources for another load of ad hoc work. A lot of new build estates are without cable simply because the developer failed to invite VM to participate in the project, and the opportunity for cabling has probably been lost forever.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos