Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

3 months and All i got was a mess outside my house

Sir/Madam

I contacted you yesterday regarding my installation which is still not compete so just to give you my side and a response would be appreciated

November 14th initial site visit by virgin media. I was informed on this date that it wasn’t possible to connect to the main line (not sure the correct terminology) however a box was plugged in inside my house a cable was laid in my garden and an external box partly fitted to the outside of my property.

November 18th receive letter saying you’ll return on the 27th November to install my broadband on the 27th November

November 23rd workmen turn up make some noise and leave no explanation but did identify themselves as your contractors (fttp guys?)

November 27TH To my knowledge nothing outside of house still has a cable real and box still not secure which suggests no visit

January 7th After no news or update and paying extortionate prices to another supplier that we had hoped to leave I messaged your salesman to cancel my virgin contract.

I believe 3 months is long enough to have sorted this and it has cost me money with the other supplier I hadn’t intended on spending.

To date I have had no comment of explanation hopefully you can help and/or suggest a way forward.

Thanks in advance

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: 3 months and All i got was a mess outside my house

Find out if your getting the £5 per day install delay fee, you might be getting a small fortune

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

unfortunately I am not maybe that needs adding to my list

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Bit of an update 2 hour phone call last night spoke to must of been every department (except the cleaners), end result "can you phone back tomorrow the department is shut" SHUT? [removed] shut? (it's close to the word I'm thinking but you're a letter out). 

Construction department inform me we don't have anyone in that area we don't know when it will be complete( excellent I'll keep paying the other provider excessive fees because virgin can't finish a job. "We can tell you where the problem is though" awesome hold on I'll get me tool box and do it myself might see some progress.

So compensation due to late installation oh you don't qualify we need to have been out more than twice and we've been out twice only, Yeah pal because that day you should of turned up you know the one I booked time off work for you didn't show up did you?

How do I raise a complaint "Why" why? oh sorry my bad it's just I thought your customer service has been poor (did I say poor I meant [removed]) so fancied notifying you down some official route.

Very clear now virgin don't care salesman ignoring his phone, I mean why should he care he's had his bonus.

Regards

One moaning customer 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you get the run around Speak to Retentions on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options 1-1-4-4 "Thinking of leaving" - they are open 08:00 until 21:00 BUT calling early between 08.00-10.00  midweek is best, when you will usually get a UK call centre with staff more informed and helpful. They seem to have the power of God over other departments.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How do I raise a complaint 

You read this, and you write a letter  detailing your complaint from start to finish in detail, using short paragraphs, assuming (rightly) that whoever reads it will know nothing of the matter.  And then you send it by donkey post to the address given, because VM are useless at telephone communication.  Make sure you request compensation at the £5 a day rate from 27 November, irrespective of VM's "automatic compensation" policy and guidelines, plus extra for time taken off work and wasted on the phone.   Make sure you state your intention to escalate to the industry arbitration scheme if the complaint is not resolved to your full satisfaction within the allowed timescale of eight weeks.

Given the ongoing fiasco that VM have achieved so far, it seems highly improbable that they will either resolve the complaint and pay the requested compensation, but you have to do this before proceeding to the next step.  After eight weeks (or earlier if you can get VM to issue a "deadlock letter" you can escalate your complaint to CISAS for free, independent arbitration, but CISAS won't accept the complaint unless you've tried to resolve it with VM.  I'm afraid this is a very slow way to get it sorted, but CISAS can be very effective in hammering VM's inept bureaucracy, and as at the last reported data 92% of complaints to CISAS are found in the customer's favour, or VM immediately ... without waiting for CISAS to make a decision.

Even if VM get you connected in a couple of days, you can still pursue this through the complaints process and CISAS.  

And a little off-topic rant, even though I know that VM management are sitting there, fingers in their ears going "la-la-la-la-la-can't-hear-you!":

Virgin Media management, what the hell are you playing at?  92% of complaints to CISAS you either cave in and settle, or are found by CISAS in the customer's favour!  That's appalling, and on the basis of only 8% of complaints "not upheld" Virgin Media are the worst performer in the industry by a very long measure.  And because CISAS require customers to have exhausted VM's complaint procedures, in every one of those cases, you will have had multiple chances to deliver the service properly at the frontline, having failed that your complaints process has cost you money to operate and you've still not used that chance and eight weeks grace to resolve the complaint.  Maybe CISAS don't like you?  Perhaps take a look at Trustpilot, where customers have awarded you a dismal 1.2 out of five in over 11,000 reviews.  And since reviewers have to aware a minimum of one star, arguably VM would have been awarded perhaps about 0.6 out of 4 if customers had the freedom to do so.  I'm aware that Virgin Media is a shoestring operation and management are dominated by clowns from sales and marketing, but look at the amount of rework and waste caused by your broken customer service and delivery model - this is costing the company money, and a lot of it.  Each support call to your world-leadingly-awful offshore call centre might be cheap, but customers have to ring again and again and again because those people don't solve any problems.  Even if you brought customer service back to the UK so that customers could actually speak to people who understand English, the scripts and processes are so poor that alone won';t fix this mess that you shower have created.

What will it take for Virgin Media to sort itself out?  The assets and the UK staff have the potential to be a market leader with great service and an excellent reputation, but senior management seem blind to the potential and to the additional cost of doing things competently.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

thank you Andruser I shall 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good luck.  Prepare yourself for a long wait, because neither the VM complaints process nor CISAS are quick.  Your quickest and perhaps best outcome is a good settlement from VM that gives you what you want, following (hopefully) the intervention of VM's forum staff. 

Unfortunately I think that VM rely on customer inertia that too few customers escalate to CISAS, with the result that is financially advantageous for VM to delay, obfuscate and either refuse to settle, or offer a paltry settlement.  If they offered you (say) £50, that's not much for your inconvenience, but if you take that first offer its only £50 cost for VM.  If you claimed (say) £50 for the wasted day off work alone, and £5 a day for two months, that would be about £350 - you might not get all of that even at CISAS, but it is worth pushing for it, just as VM will see it as worthwhile to resist.  Even when customers threaten to go to CISAS (or to sue), VM know that many won't bother, in this case by resisting they could save £350 less any minor sum they might have already offered.  If you do go to CISAS and VM settle the full claim as soon as CISAS notify them that the complaint has been accepted, VM "only" incur £150 of CISAS case fees, so £500 in total.  And if they allow CISAS to review and adjudicate the complaint, they pay whatever CISAS decide (potentially £350) plus the full CISAS case fee that I guess to be around £400, that's £750.  Read the CISAS "Guidance to Compensation for Inconvenience and Distress" very carefully, because you want to make clear that the inconvenience is serious by virtue of the length of delay, the failure of the company to communicate and to handle complaints properly.  Note the range of aggravating and mitigating factors, and consider how they apply to your case.

If going to CISAS, not only do you want to provide all necessary detail in pithy paragraphs, but you should reference all aggravating factors, and ideally write a precis at the start, giving a brief summary of the case, that you believe that this is a serious and protracted failure of service delivery, customer service and complaint handling, and summarising what you're claiming and why.  Get the arbitrator on your side by making it clear and easy for them!  If submit that CISAS-friendly format as part of a formal complaint to VM, then (if anybody competent looks at it) there's a good chance they'll think "we're gonna lose this one big time, let's just settle now".

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos