Menu
Mikec1998
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

2 month installation delay

Hi

We originally had our installation date booked in for 13th March - since then there have been a number of excuses for delays, the most recent being that there is a wait for the wayleave form.

I have now been told that if the form is not filled out by the land owners of the adjacent property then my installation will be cancelled, this will have been after 2.5 months of waiting without Internet for virgin to arrange an install.

Instead of cancelling the installation could the wayleave team put a little more effort in and give the land owner a call to discuss matters instead of just sending out letters? Or arrange for an alternative route to the property?

Failing that, please can you advise how much compensation we will receive if virgin do not complete the installation in breach of your contract, especially as I have had to pay extra to upgrade my mobile contract to work as a hotspot in the mean time. We can then put that money towards a BT contract who would be able to provide their services within weeks, not months, as they already have a cable leading to the house.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards 

Michael

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 2 month installation delay

The contract doesn't actually start until the connection is made, and Virgin are under no obligation to connect you if it's too difficult or expensive for them to do so.

Have you tried contacting the neighbour yourself to encourage them to sign the wayleave?

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A phone call isn't a legally binding document, a signed document is. They are not going to call. They want the document. 

Your compensation will be nil. They have no obligation to install any services. 

0 Kudos
Mikec1998
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I don't believe anyone lives currently at the property through which the wayleave is required and virgin won't tell me who the property owner is so I have no way of contacting them.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Hero
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You can find the land owner the same way that Virgin did, from an online search at the Land Registry.  

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Even if the landowner can be easily contacted and is co-operative, there's plenty of evidence in these forums that the performance of VM's Pre-installation team is truly appalling, so I would suggest that you either gear yourself up for several further months of delays (without being able to get any sense out of VM on the matter), or cancel the requested connection and go with an Openreach connection.  And if you do that, I'd suggest you avoid BT and use an ISP who have a competent provisioning team, like Zen, Aquiss, uno or similar smaller ISPs.  Although they all have to use Openreach (a BT division), there's a big gap between how effective different companies are at getting the best from Openreach. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks