cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 MONTHS LATE - OUTSIDE WORK STILL NOT DONE

Lordgilmour
Joining in

Hi everyone, I signed up in April and had an initial install date of 31st May.

2 months later and 3 promised install dates later. I am finding Virgin has zero control over their outsourced outside work company, and that their agents repeatedly break their promises - 4 promised callbacks with only 1 that actually happened.

I don't mind a delay but I get the sense that this will never ever get resolved and the auto compensation scheme does not apply where outside work needs to be done first.

Frustrating thing is 3 others on my street of 12 houses are already with Virgin and it's working well else I would have given up long ago and went elsewhere. So my street is set up, it's just a complete failure of Virgin administration.

Any advice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well, I would say that would be your install date for the purposes of the compensation IMHO, if that was what VM sent you when you first signed up.

Keep detailed records, in a chronological order, to build up a timeline as you go along of all VM's bungling and failures.

Your claim is very likely to have to go to arbitration to get paid the correct amount.

If it was me, I think I might also take a few time-stamped pic's of where you expect the cable would run to illustrate that access was possible at the time(s) VM visited to install. This would be just in case one of their excuses is via para 40a from the OFCOM doc and they somehow try to claim your building work obstructed them because there was not a 'safe working environment within the premise for the engineer'.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Lordgilmour,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm very sorry to hear about the delay with your install. 

I am happy to take a look at the account for you to see if there is anything we can do to assist with this. 

I will private message you now. 

^Martin

Omadawn
Up to speed

@Lordgilmour wrote:

2 months later and 3 promised install dates later. I am finding Virgin has zero control over their outsourced outside work company, and that their agents repeatedly break their promises - 4 promised callbacks with only 1 that actually happened.

I don't mind a delay but I get the sense that this will never ever get resolved and the auto compensation scheme does not apply where outside work needs to be done first.

Frustrating thing is 3 others on my street of 12 houses are already with Virgin and it's working well else I would have given up long ago and went elsewhere. So my street is set up, it's just a complete failure of Virgin administration.

Any advice?

Well firstly, who told you that the compensation scheme doesn’t apply ‘if outside works need to be done first’? Oh wait, don’t tell me would that have been one of VM’s ('every one is trained to the same high standards’) customer services people in some remote call centre, on whatever passes for minimum wage there?

It was, wasn’t it?

Hint: complete and utter rubbish - in fact a VM agent (they aren’t actually VM employees), deliberately giving false information in an attempt to deprive you of your due compensation - sort of thing that OFCOM might be interested to hear about!

As of now, you are entitled to some £5.80 for each and every day past (and including) 31st May until they connect you up - or don’t, but you are still entitled to it!

Your other point regarding Virgin having zero control over their outsourced contractors, is, however, spot on! And that’s exactly how they want it to work.

The most common BS excuse trotted out is ‘waiting for Council permissions’, so it’s not our fault and hence no compensation for you. Technically, they have a point, without proper permission, then it would be illegal for them to dig the road up and hence not fair that they should have to pay compensation in that case - however, there are numerous stories on here where this has been given as a reason, but when the prospective customer checks with the local authority, they find that either; no request has ever been submitted, or a request has been submitted, it has been granted within 48 hours (a fairly normal turn-around time for this sort of thing), but that the contractors simply didn’t do the work within the timeframe permitted and it lapsed - rinse and repeat!

In cases like this then, yes, VM are absolutely liable to pay compensation for the missed time, not your fault if they decide to use the cheapest and least competent contractors, is it?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Lordgilmour wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

Any advice?

Just to fine-tune your understanding of the automatic compensation scheme, have a look at the OFCOM 'minimum requirements' document and updated payments rates from April 2023 onwards

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

There are some very limited conditions in which VM is allowed to reduce (not avoid) paying compensation for a delayed installation (para 40 in the OFCOM doc). VM regularly likes to try to fall back on 40d and the 'council permissions' excuse as a means to avoid paying.

Payment may be reduced while waiting for a council permit for street works but the reduction is limited only to the delay caused by the council wait. In past topics on here VM has tried to stretch that time period or has claimed a wait for a permit was causing a delay when, in fact, no permit had ever been applied for (after the customer spoke to the council to check).

VM has also invented the idea of a 'provisional' installation date (the word 'provisional' does not appear in the OFCOM doc) as a means to reduce payments. This has been thrown out in a past adjudication case where the customer was never advised their installation date was only provisional.

Track back in your records and find 'the date initially confirmed in writing' when VM said it would activate your services. That would be the date any compensation would start from.

Best advice is to have a good read of the OFCOM doc and keep detailed records as you go along of all VM's failures and delays. This should help ensure you get paid the correct compensation at the end.

Screenshot_20230727_174047_Outlook.jpg

 this is how it was worded. The VM excuse is that I have a side extension going on and so they could no possibly consider fitting a cable up my unhindered access to my front door from the path. Their engineers flat out refuse to talk to me or ring the doorbell to discuss.

I have a revolving bag of excuses: council permit, blockages at the local exchange, no access due to my building work on the side of the house (away from the cable point on the path), blockages on my property. If building work really is a real issue for them they need to convice me because that is going on until December and I don't want to deal with a new rolling fantasy install date until then. Today they just moved my install from 1st Aug to 16th Aug....and every agent I call "assures" me that this date will the one and only!

Well, I would say that would be your install date for the purposes of the compensation IMHO, if that was what VM sent you when you first signed up.

Keep detailed records, in a chronological order, to build up a timeline as you go along of all VM's bungling and failures.

Your claim is very likely to have to go to arbitration to get paid the correct amount.

If it was me, I think I might also take a few time-stamped pic's of where you expect the cable would run to illustrate that access was possible at the time(s) VM visited to install. This would be just in case one of their excuses is via para 40a from the OFCOM doc and they somehow try to claim your building work obstructed them because there was not a 'safe working environment within the premise for the engineer'.

Thanks and this process of being a pre-customer is really the best I have ever seen at turning a neutral into a strong detractor for their company. I have already wasted more time speaking to them trying to become a paying customer than I have ever spent with a company as a customer.