Menu
SAkers1975
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

1Gig Service - Tips for best service?

Hi All,

One for the community at large.

I will be getting the 1Gig service next week and I am wondering what configuration changes etc...you made to get the best out of the service.

I will have around 10 devices on Wi-Fi and 4 on a wired connection

Thanks in advance

Stephen

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1Gig Service - Tips for best service?

The default settings are the optimal so nothing u would reccomend changing on a hub 4

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you want the best from a 1G service it’s best to get your own router and wireless access points. You are paying a lot for the speed and this is the best way to realise your investment. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
SAkers1975
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What routers and AP's should I be looking at Tudor?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Whilst I agree with @Tudor on this, it is worth knowing that if you connect your own router then you will be constrained by the 940 Mbps port speed of the Hub 4's ethernet ports, so against an expected speed of 1140 Mbps you'll only ever be able to access 82% of it.  If you leave the Hub 4 in router mode and add an access point that would still be 940 Mbps constrained but you'd theoretically be able to utilise the remaining 200 Mbps via the other ports on the Hub 4.   

Speaking as somebody who probably never maxes out a 200 Mbps connection I can't see this being a hardship, but YMMV. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I use all Ubiquiti/Unifi kit, router is USG 4 Pro (it’s just a proper router, nothing else), 2 x WAP AC Pro’s (one upstairs, one downstairs), 3 x PoE network switches, CloudKey 2+ and 4 x Unifi cameras. Plus 5 x Raspberry Pi, 2 running Pi-Hole, 1 print server, 1 garden watering system and 1 FlightRadar ADS-B receiver.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's possible to get the full bandwidth available however it's not that straight forward for a novice:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/how-to-make-the-most-of-a-1-15gbps-gig1-virgin-med... 

Personally I would suggest that 900Mbps ish is more than enough for one wired device leaving some spare bandwidth for the other wired & wireless devices!

0 Kudos