Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

1. Forward Path Attenuator on my Super Hub 3? 2. Using the SH3 as a modem.

Q1. Forward Path Attenuator

I have been sent a SH3 as my SH2ac is having problems [I would have preferred another SH2ac - but none available - again as I need to change the DDNS for my Synology - different question!] so I'm having to switch it over myself.

The old SH2ac had a 3dB Forward Path Attenuator attached. Do I need to reinsert on the connector of the new SH3? Everything seems to be okay without it. I am less than 40 metre (as the crow flies) from the street cabinet.

The V6 box does also appear to have a Forward Path Attenuator attached.  My V6 box is not attached to the SH3 directly. It sits on the opposite side of the house (downstairs) and is seperately connected to the outside junction box. [I have today currently linked it to the new SH3 using a Powerline ethernet connection. Although historically I have simply connected it (the previous SH2ac) by wireless.]

So do I need the 3dB Forward Path Attenuator on the SH3?

Q2. SH3 in modem mode.

I now cannot connect my Synology DiskStation for external access, as with the SH3 it appears that you cannot reconfigure the DNS.[Error message on the DiskStation: "Domain name cannot be resolved. Please change your DNS server address to 8.8.8.8..."] I understand this is a known issue with the SH3 compared to the SH2ac. So I will have to buy a seperate router and switch the SH3 to modem mode.

In which case which ethernet port on the SH3 should I use to attach to the router?

Plus is there anything else I need to watch out for with the SH3 when attaching the router? I'm going for a TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750. [My Powerline is TP-Link so going for what I know!]

Thanks for any assistance.

Chris Land

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 1. Forward Path Attenuator on my Super Hub 3? 2. Using the SH3 as a modem.

As far as the attenuator goes, it needs to remain on the end of the feed cable. It’s there to balance the signal levels due to a previous issue & these issues don’t usually go away, or if they do they usually return at some point. 40 metres is close (about the same as my run) & I have one fitted. With the fluctuations in signal throughout the year it still proves necessary.

If your connection has been working ok don’t mess with it.

PS. I’ve moved your post to the Broadband section from TV.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It's worth knowing what your signal levels are. Go to 192.168.0.1, do not log in, click on the link "Check Router Status".
Copy and paste the Downstream and Upstream stats.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Q.1   Probably do need it on the Hub, the point is that if you are close to the cabinet then the power received by the Hub might be too high hence the attenuator to drop it down, ditto for the V6. You could always try it without on the Hub and see what the downstream power levels are like.

Q.2 Correct, the Hub3 doesn't allow you to set a different DNS so you will need your own router. Traditionally you had to connect it to the bottom port (closest to the coax), but now, I believe, you can use any of them - but naturally only one. It's fairly straight-forward, Hub into modem mode, connect router, set router's WAN interface to DHCP/Dynamic addressing, power off the VM Hub, reboot the router and allow to fully boot up, only then start the VM Hub and wait for it to initialise.

0 Kudos