Menu
vindi62
Dialled in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

wireless connect desktop

This is probably a stupid question, but bear with me as I’m a complete novice with technology, especially computers. My question is, can a All-In-One desktop computers be connected wirelessly to my Virgin Media (VM) router which is in a different room, (just like my laptop) or do they have to be connected to the router by an ethernet cable? I already have an old All-In-One desktop connected to the router in another room, which is running too slow.  I have tried VM to have an engineer come to my house to move the router into my other room which I now use, but they say engineers can’t come just now because of the pandemic.  Your expert  advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: wireless connect desktop

You can buy a USB wifi dongle - They're pretty cheap!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=USB+wifi&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: wireless connect desktop

If you get a USB dongle - make sure it is USB3 spec (not USB2) and also it has both 2.4 and 5 GHz capabilities - get the highest throughput you can afford - e.g. AC1200 or more.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.