Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

wifi

hi,

how can i get wifi into my shed ( pain cave) - tried wifi boosters to get a signal in my detached garage ( its on its own electric circuit loop) but that didnt work. just got  new shed  & want wifi in there ( situated behind garage). router at mo is in front room, so cant move it to back of house.

do i need another router & separate setup ( & bill ) or can i take a line from where cable goes into the house & run it around the outside walls & upto the top of the garden ??

thanks, IH

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi

Hello

One option you can use is to run External Ethernet cabling from where the hub is to the Shed, you will have to drill hole in wall to allow the cable to come in close to the hub, external Ethernet cabling is not that expensive and would negate the 2nd bill and contract, and then in the shed to place a wireless access point.

With this setup would cost no more than £51 for external cable depending on length and then a wireless access point around £25 depending on what you find around on your favorite auction site.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi

Sounds like a long run of etherent.  I'd suggest you make sure you use Cat 7 weatherproof cable.  It's a little bit more expensive, but why save a few coppers for a job you only do once? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos