Menu
Highlighted
garry51
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

wifi

I have about 25 wifi connections to my hub 11 google devices used for music streaming and lighting control also I have 12 raspery pi computers connected (mostly sensors) that update about every 5 mins, but I'm having trouble with the music streaming cutting out. The rasperry pi's are only transferring kb's of data so bandwidth is not the problem .Is there anything I can setup in the hub to make streaming reliable ?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi

it's possible that with 25 con-current wifi connections you may be overloading a "home" consumer device.
even business grade wifi access points have a limitation on what they can handle, a home device will have much lower tolerances.

when you say they are "cutting out", is that due to signal strength? what band are they connecting on? what channels are in use? have you tried changing the channels?
basicailly, what troubleshooting have you already done>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
garry51
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply as for testing I have changed channels (makes no difference) signal strength is not the problem as I have a good signal . The google minis and chrome casts just seem to loose the connection to the hub.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

First of all I would check that the Chromecast is up do date as they did have a problem where the Chromecast could flood the network with Network Discovery packets.

I would bear in mind that only one wireless device can talk to the Hub's radio at the same time, so the more devices devices the longer the random "queue" will become and the slower the network will become

With too many devices connected to a radio there will be collisions where devices will try and access the radio the same time and drop connection.

You could try and split the load between the 2.4GHz and 5 GHz radios, if possible.

As Chenks says, there is a maximum amount of simultaneous devices a router can handle with higher end routers able to handle more connections due to superior processing power.

Additional Wireless Access Points may help providing they are not set to use the same wireless channel (1,6,11) as the Hub which may prove problematic on the narrow 2.4GHz band depending on your wireless environment.

However, due to the complexities of wireless and broadband in general there may be other factors in play like a domestic device like A\V Streaming Devices, baby monitors, older Cordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security Systems etc.  interfering with the connection.

I would check the local circuit by testing with a device connected directly to the Hub just to rule out local circuit I would be aware the wireless of the old SH1 can be affected by marginal power levels.

0 Kudos