Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

wifi keeps cutting off

Hello

My wifi keeps cutting off and i am unsure why it has been happening a while now and not really great as i am WFH. it just cuts off at least once an hour then re-connects. i am sat right next to my router (HUB3) Anyone have any ideas i have reset/rebooted it quite a few time checked the cables and it still happens and i cannot get any closer to the box as i am nearly sat on top of it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi keeps cutting off

Are wired connections dropping as well?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

If youu are working from home - is that on a laptop or computer? If so connect it directly to the Hub by a Cat5e (or higher) ethernet cable and see how the connection is on that. If its fine then continue to use it like that and we can try and sort the wifi issue for you later. If it also drops out on ethernet, you may have a connection issue that needs looking at

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator

hello i do not have a please to plug in a cat5 cable into my  laptop as it is quite new and only comes with either usb or hdmi cables

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Do you have any devices wired to the hub at all?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator

hi 

i have a wifi booster going up to a bedroom with a xbox in. that connects with a cat5 cable each end it does seem a little better but still lags sometimes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

My laptop doesn't have an ethernet port either. I use a USB3-Ethernet adapter (less than a tenner) on eBay (or from your local PC store) - and with a Cat6 cable.

Don't use Cat5 that will be an old cable and will probably throttle the speeds - use Cat5e as minimum - or Cat6,7,8

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

@kevin50 wrote:

hi 

i have a wifi booster going up to a bedroom with a xbox in. that connects with a cat5 cable each end it does seem a little better but still lags sometimes

Does it drop completely though like the wireless devices do?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

hi 

i just asked my little one and he said yes it is rubbish and drops out quite a bit i have just ordered a cat6 cable and usb port for my laptop

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

While you are waiting for that and given that the xbox is dropping on powerline adapters, lets have a look at your connection data. Can you follow this protocol.

-------------------------------------------------
First switch the Hub off for 5 minutes AND unplug it from the mains Whilst it's off, do a quick check that all of your coax cable connections are in nice and "finger" tight - at the Hub and wall box and also at any connectors etc. Ensure there are no “unterminated cable loose ends. Disconnect all the connections and reconnect to be sure. Also check that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing, check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. Then switch it on again and leave 5 minutes

Then, post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there. In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button a second time).

Also, in the meantime, if you haven’t already, set up a free “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” (as per instructions on the TB website) when you have the first 24h period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos